Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fat side UP or DOWN?

Options
Fireball
Fireball Posts: 354
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Early today I was talking with a friend who knows Billy Bones of "Billy Bones B.B.Q.". This friends told me that Biily says if you put the fat side down when doing a "low and slow' pulled pork that shrinage will be reduced by 40%. Please comment on this statement beacuse I thought it should be fat side up. I am ready to learn from opinions.
Fireball

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Fireball, IMHO..and I am no great cook, but fat side up always in brisket. With butts, it probably makes little difference if fat side up, sideways or ? due to the internal fats in the meat fibers. It's pretty much self basting any way you cook it..
    Cheers to ya..
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Fireball,
    I once read something hat suggested that the fat side being down creates some kind of barrier to keep the juices from dripping out of the bottom of the meat. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me....but ya never know. Moisture would be able to escape more rapidly through the top of the meat.[p]I like the basting properties of having the fat on top.[p]40% reduction in shrinkage sounds awfully high for just turning the meat the other way. Would be curious if there is any truth to this.
    Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Fireball, that method goes against everything I've read about que'ing low and slow. But, that doesn't mean its wrong, but I'm from Missouri on this one;). It does seem to me that the fat rendering out and running down the sides of the meat would help to baste the meat while it was cooking. And as for 40% shrinkage?, I thought the meat shrunk because the fat/collagen/whatever was rendered out? If it doesn't shrink what is staying inside to keep the meat bigger?
    Like I said, this sounds contradictory to everything I've learned and heard but I admit I have never tried it so I can't be sure. If someone does please post the results and maybe we'll all find a better way to Q and learn some new tricks.
    later,
    ChefRD

• WillieB
    WillieB Posts: 21
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Does not seem to make much difference on briskets or pork shoulders. I turn mine, start with fat side down, sear it real hard and then rotate every three hours. Everyone does it differently, just do it the way it turns out best for you. Just another opinion.[p]Willie B

• Uncle Dave
    Options
    ChefRD,
    I'm with RD on this one!