Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 and counting - thanks julie

Options
mr toad
mr toad Posts: 779
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
yb, mickey t, and mr toad - - all using mrs dog's brine recipe[p]thanks julie for all your help - [p]mr toad
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    mr toad,
    This recipe smells so good.
    Larry[p]
    [p]JULIE APPLEGATE’S TURKEY BRINE RECIPE[p] [p] [p]1 turkey, 12-18 pounds, rinsed thoroughly, giblets, tail, and neck removed [p] [p]Brine: [p] [p]2 cups brown sugar [p]1 cup maple syrup [p]3/4 cup coarse salt [p]3 whole heads garlic, cloves separated, but not peeled, and bruised [p]6 large bay leaves* [p]1 tablespoon Mrs. Dog’s Jamaican Jerk Marinade** [p]1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped unpeeled fresh ginger [p]2 teaspoons dried chile flakes, or a couple of chipotles [p]1-1/2 cups soy sauce [p]3 quarts water [p]Handful of fresh thyme sprigs [p] [p]Combine all the brine ingredients in an enamel or stainless steel pot. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and let cool completely. Rinse the turkey well, and
    put it in a large enamel, stainless steel or food-grade plastic pot or bucket.
    Cover with the cold brine and add more water if the brine doesn't cover the turkey. Put a plate on top of the turkey to hold it under the brine. Refrigerate for 2-3 days, turning the bird twice a day. (When you turn the turkey be sure to empty the brine out of the body cavity before you turn it or it splashes everywhere.) [p] Rinse twice and air dry in refrigerator overnight. [p] [p]* I use allspice leaves as well [p]** optional [p]Cook the bird to 161° in the breast.

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning mr toad:[p]Make that four! I have used it the past two years and LOVE it! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I got it from Cat, mr toad!

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]you caught what from your cat ??
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning J Appledog:[p]I don't care who you got it from, it is great! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving![p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]That's the name of a former frequent poster whose name I would like to see hitting the board again.[p]Happy T-day,
    Jethro

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    mr toad,
    I agree!! Been using it for years. I just can't make myself try something else... neither will my guests!!![p]I miss her too. Anyone know where she is? Hope she's doing well.....

Apollo Beach, FL