Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

reheating pulled pork

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All I'm trying to find are alternative ways of reheating pulled pork. Heretofore I have always mixed in some BBQ sauce and then reheated in a pan on the over over low heat. Anybody got a better ideer? Or favorite method? I can't believe I can't find anything on the archives.
BUT, first tell me reheating ways...
and then tell me what I am doing wrong with the archive access. I entered reheating pulled pork and got zilch so I tried "reheating pulled pork" with same dismal lack of responnse

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RRP, I basically follow your first idea and add sauce and heat. Works for me, and I cannot thing of a better way.
    The Archive engine isn't searching..A major malfunction.
    Cheers..
    C~W[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    RRP, I use a very simple method. I place the desired amount of PP in an unsealed plastic bag and nuke it for about 6 minutes at 30% power. I think the idea originally came from JJ. For pulled beef, I do about the same thing.[p]Have a nice evening! :~]

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    RRP,
    Boy, did I get some mileage out of my first and only PP, I did on Super Bowl Sunday.. my key ingredient to the re-heating process--whether stovetop or nuclear, was using some of the "vinegar" based BBQ sauce (i.e., Elder Ward's recipe), nice and liquidy, that enables everything to cook and maintain/retain moisture. Whatever works..floats your boat..let's face it, any quality BBQ sauce for strictly re-heating, you won't have to worry about charred sugars/blackening...anything reasonable will just help to moisturize and flavor favorably...your pulled pork.

• If I reheat pulled pork, frozen or thawed, that's in a zip-lock bag, I place the bag in a sauce pan of water and let is simmer until ready for the bun. If it's frozen, I put it in a new bag and then into the water. This leaves most of the residual fat (solidified) in the bottom of the freezer bag, keeping it away from the arteries.

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    George, sounds like a great idea! I normally don't have enough PP left over to freeze for later but I bet your method could be used on lots of pork. Thanks for sharing
    later,
    ChefRD.

• I always do two large butts at a time, so most goes in the freezer in 3/4 lb parcels for quick meals later.

• RRP,[p]I've never had your problem! No matter what size butt or shoulder I BBQ, I never seem to have any left over. By the time I send a little home with everyone, it's all disappeared. But seriously, if any left, I warm it with some sauce in a covered pan on top of the stove.

• SLOPPY PIG
    Options
    RRP,As with anything you ask you will find 100's of answers and opinions on the forum.
    I reheat mine in disposable aluminum pans adding a little apple cider or apple juice.You dont want to drown the meat,just add enough to keep it moist.I cover the pan with foil and heat at 200 for an hour or so.SO far SO good.

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I only have one word, Foodsaver. You can boil a pan of water with your sealed bag in it and it's just like when you stored it!

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Gfw,[p]By far this is what I find to be the easiest method, but using the lower power setting is key. I also apply a simple 50/50 mix of cider vinegar and bbq sauce at the time it is bagged. It usually works out to be one cup per five pounds of prepared meat. By giving the meat a dose of vinegar at the time of preparation helps the flavor of the product at the time of consumption. Actually a combination of saucing and warming at 30% to 50% power in the microwave will pretty much eliminate that "warmed over flavor" that you will certainly get if you reheat on high power.[p]Just my method....[p]Z
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    George, exactly what I do - PP from the freezer is the next best thing to PP off the BGE! :~}

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Huck, yup..I have one (FS Pro II) and have done that too..Good method and also preserves the flavor to almost off the fire taste. I usually save some for sandwiches over a few days and that is what I use in a sauce mix.
    C~W[p]