Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Question about boneless butt

Options
mojopin
mojopin Posts: 200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking a boneless pork butt. I normally cook a bone in picnic shoulder for pulled pork, but this is what Costco had so I went with it. It's about 5+ lbs. My question is.... where did the plataeu go? I'm at 182 already after only 3 hours... I'm a little worried that it is going way too high too quickly.... or maybe there is something wrong with my temp probe... normally with a 7lb. bone in I'm looking at 7-8 hours.... [p]what did I do wrong, and what can I do to stop this climbing through the plataeu? The grate temp is approx 275.[p]-Jill

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    mojopin,[p] I have cooked several boneless butts where the plateau seems to be short or none existent. [p] How much fat is on those butts? Are you sure the probe is in the middle of the meat and not anywhere near where the bone used to be.[p]
  • mojopin
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]There wasn't a lot of fat, I moved the probe to see if there was a difference, but there wasn't. I am guessing this one just has a higher plataeu. It's been at 182-185 for the last hour... I guess I am doing ok then.[p]thanks for the reply! I know most people are in turkey mode right now![p]-Jill
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    mojopin,[p] Yes I have had a few that stayed at 180-185 for a few hours. Been tempted to pull them out, but I refrained.[p] I am hamming it tomorrow. Though I think I will put a small bird on Friday for Soup and Pot Pies. [p].o0(I should not have called max. Now I want a Turkey Pot Pie)
  • mojopin
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]Go for the turkey pot pie! We did that after making a Mad Max Bird... I used the frozen pilsbury pie crust that you roll out after it thaws. Used the gravy I made from the bird... a little thinned out... mixed in froz. Peas, corn, carrots.... par baked the bottom crust and then covered the top with the other pie crust and baked about 40 min. at 400°F. Mmmmm it was good.[p]-Jill