Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipe Needed: Venison Steaks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,[p]A friend is bringing some venison steaks over for dinner on Saturday. Can anyone suggest a recipe? My wife does not like wild game and I am hoping to change her mind by cooking them on the egg. I haven't done venison in years so any help would be appreciated.[p]Thanks,

Comments

• GaryT,[p]Unless it was a whole tenderloin, I wouldn't cook on the egg. [p]If it were me and if they didn't come from the butcher, I'd brine in a plain salt solution for a couple hours, tenderize them, and fry them up like chicken fried steak. [p]Make gravy in the pan after you fry the steaks, then add a little sliced onion and red bell pepper (shrooms optional), as well as the steaks. Cover and let sit in the oven at 200 for an hour and a half. [p]Serve over white rice with biscuits on the side. Not real good for you, but very tasty.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    GaryT,
    Depends on what cut it is. Remember, venison has NO fat so you have to be carefull to keep it moist or add moisture. The more rare you can eat it the more moist it will stay. If it is the tenderloin, cut it 1 1/2" -2" thick, wrap it in bacon and add a little terryaki, pepper & seasoned salt (rub). You may never want another filet. A simple marinade for other cuts is 1 cup oil, 1/2 cup dijon mustard, 1/4 cup vinegar & 1/8 cup worshestershire. Another is Italian dressing. These should help keep it moist.

• GaryT,
    I went a duck hunting trip this past weekend and a buddy brought this stuff to make a lebanese venison sandwich "thing", it was awesome. Here's how it works:"Think Big" marinade venison with 1/3 Italian dressing, 1/3 worshestershire, 1/3 terryaki for at least 24 hrs. Place on grill untill cooked and than slice it up into small pcs. Take a piece of Lebanese bread,(it's a flat bread like a soft shell taco but alittle thicker, soft shell taco would work fine.)and spread a Lebanese garlic spread on the bread or use your own favorite spread. Than put on cut up onion,red,green and yellow bell peppers and venison. Fold the thing up like a diaper and enjoy with a cold beer.

• Dixieland Delights
    Options
    GaryT,
    As the others have said...depends on the cut. The best venison I can make besides the already mentioned bacon wrapped tenderloin is Mustard Fried Venison! Take those steaks and beat them senseless. Marinate in yellow mustard with some hotsauce for as long as you can. Dredge in flour, salt, pepper and garlic and let stand for a few minutes. Re dredge and shake off excess. I fry it in a commercial fryer @ 375 for about 4 to 5 minutes...(let it float and give it another minute). Serve like you would with the country fried steak method. Sorry it doesn't use the egg but make some corn bread in it if you want to show off!