Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can anyone provide tips for cooking a turkey breast?

Options
Grillicious
Grillicious Posts: 347
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend asked me how to cook a turkey breast vs. a whole turkey. I've done whole turkeys but never a breast. Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Comments

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    Grillicious,
    I cooked one recently on a vertical chicken roaster, no liquid, rubbed with Tsunami Spin, 350 dome, platesetter, 160 temp. I gave it to a friend and he said it was the best he'd ever had. I didn't get to taste it, but it looked great.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Grillicious,
    I roast them indirect at 325 just like in the oven. I use mild smoke and a rub like Raisin' The Steaks.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Grillicious
    Options
    Doh...found what I needed in the recipe section here of course.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    turkey3.jpg
    <p />Grillicious,[p]The standard 325 to 350 degrees will work just fine. I typically brine mine and I also remove the ribs, some of the plate and the wishbone. This helps the doneness stay a little more even but it really makes slicing easy. If you are handy with a knife and some kitchen shears, and want to see the entire how-to just http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com you will go to my homepage. Look in the Turkey section.[p]~thirdeye~ 15367ef1.gif[p]PS I'm making a breast for T-Giving too, haven't figured out what to do with the legs and thighs yet.... [p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I take the legs and thighs and debone them. Rub Tumami Spin and a little red peper on meat. Take about 2-3 table spoons of raspberry salad dressing and moisten meat. I use a wire meatloaf for "meatloaf." pack the red meat in basket and roast with the breast. The taste is wonderful.[p]Cheers
    Howard in Bartow

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    28c30ddf.jpg
    <p />MR H,[p]That sounds good. I just butchered my bird like this, and everything is brining. I have plans for the breast, not sure yet about the dark half & wings.[p]~thirdeye~ 15367ef1.gif

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery