Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trivet - Use for Mad Max Turkey

Bob V
Bob V Posts: 195
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd like to recommend a handy gadget to use when you need a lot of space and the inverted plate setter, eg when doing the Mad Max turkey recipe.[p]If you need to sit a drip pan down as low as you can, but don't want it sitting directly on the platesetter, try this - a cast iron trivet from Lodge. There may be other brands as well. Has little feet to elevate it a bit, and holes for circulation. Sit the drip pan on the trivet and home free.[p]Best wishes for all your turkeys.[p]Bob V
[ul][li]Lodge Cast Iron Trivet[/ul]

Comments

• ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    Bob V,
    The link did not work for me... I am particulairly interested as I went looking tonight for something to use as a trivet... I have the green egg feet I can use, but was looking for something more along the lines of a trivet - I'd love to see what you are using. [p]Thanks - ChuckGGa

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Let's try again with that link - [p]Bob V

[ul][li]Lodge Trivet[/ul]
  • ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    Bob V,
    Thanks, that one worked. I wish I knew where to find one of these in Atlanta tomorrow... [p]ChuckGGa

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    ChuckGGa,[p] Commerce, GA The Lodge Mfg Outlet. Exit 149 I-85
  • Bob V,
    hey cool! would you use two of these, one under the pan and one under the turkey?

• Guy’s,[p]In a pinch I used some ceramic coasters that I pick up at the local grocery store for just a few bucks![p]They worked fine.

• Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Brilliant!

I only have 3 of the little green feet and wasn't looking forward to trying to balance the turkey pan on those, but I know I have a trivet like that sitting around.

Thanks,

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Bob V,[p]I have not yet purchased a plate setter, but found a nice workaround. I found (and purchased) a cast iron "grillet" at Marshalls. The grillet is a circular skillet that has grill channels on 1 side and is a 1/2" deep skillet on the other side. It's made for grills, so it has no pesky handle. The grillet is about 2" smaller than the diameter of my LG egg. Who knows why they were selling it at Marshalls?! [p]Anyhow, I put the cast iron skillet side up on my primary rack as a direct heat buffer. I place another grill rack on top of that to allow airflow underneath My roasting pan goes on top of the second grill rack. I roasted a Mad Max chicken this way a few weeks ago, and it worked perfectly.[p]