Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size turkey for the Medium BGE?

NCque
NCque Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How big a turkey will the medium egg hold? gonna try it mad max style.

Comments

• NCque,
    Don't know for sure how big it will hold, but do know it won't hold a 20 pounder.[p]If you have a frozen turkey, try it on the Egg for size. If you don't have the turkey already to check for size, I would go with less than 16 pounds, and that may be pushing it.[p]Good luck to you.

• 17-18nov06-052.jpg
    <p />NCque,
    16.95 pound mad max turkey on medium egg[p]watch the tip of the thermometer... put the retaining clip on the outside to hold the tip up higher for more breast clearance.[p]hey mad max... how about a note on the mad max turkey recipe listing/showing max turkey sizes and the corresponding setups for the different egg sizes?

• NCque
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Wow! That looks awesome. I picked up 2 13lb'ers. Having to cook one for my family and I've been commissioned to cook another for my sister-in-law's in-laws. Nice set-up. What size is your pan underneath?

• NCque
    Egg head,[p]"Don't know for sure how big it will hold, but do know it won't hold a 20 pounder."[p]I hope you didn't find that out the hard way.
    travis

• 17-18nov06-029.jpg
    <p />NCque,
    that's a cheap $2 pan from the grocery, 12.7"x8.9"x1.9".
    i had to bend it slightly with a pliers to fit it down in the inverted plate setter.[p]if you look close in the other photo, you'll see one of the three butter knifes i placed the pan on to keep it off the plate setter. then i made a bed of celery and carrots to lay the bird on.[p]two handfuls of cherry chips/325/4 hours/baste every half hour and take photos as your guests say "omg!"[p]i followed the mad max turkey recipe for the most part except for the gravy... i put two cans of turkey stock in the stock pot instead of water and in addition to the neck and other parts, i browned four turkey wings in onions and garlic in a black iron skillet and threw them in the mix too!

• Egg head, did you try removing the fire ring...that allows for a much larger bird....

• tnslagamater,[p]Hmmmm. Well...no. I didn't. I didn't think of that. Damn.