Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planking Ideas

thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a deal on some alder grilling planks yesterday. You probably don't realize this, but there is a SEASON for barbecue. No, really...the stock boy told me so, it must be true. Actually, I think they need the room for snow blowers and Christmas decorations so there was a close out on a few items.[p]Anyway, back on a serious track....I've only done fish and boneless chicken using planks. How about posting some of your planking favorites. I need some idears.[p]~thirdeye~
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• Apple
    Apple Posts: 49
    thirdeye, One of my favorites is planked rack of lamb (cedar plank) and at this years eggtoberfest my wife Julie did a killer cedar planked Camembert cheese with roasted candied figs topping. Also good with pesto. For thanksgiving, some kind of cranberry topping would be apropos.

• thirdeye,[p]Yep, the "season" is over for the stores. I just got some apple/cherry cider, so I'm making my Holiday Candied Ribs and Apple-Cherry BBQ Sauce soon.[p]Anyway, I planked some stuffed burgers once. Great taste, but I used cedar.
  • thirdeye,[p]Last weekend I made Chris Capell's Maple Salmon on alder planks on my small. Excellent (and the planks keep down the flare ups when you put on the maple-butter glaze). Used the plank twice now (soaked it in cold water for an hour each time) and it looks I'll be able to get one more use out of it before it's toast.[p][p]
    [ul][li]Dizzy Pig Maple Salmon[/ul]
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    P10100822.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,[p]Here's a Herbed/Mustard Seed Hallibut, and then there's always[p]FloridaEggFest2006137.jpg[p]CHEEEEESE!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Salmon, salmon, and more salmon - planked salmon is our standard "impress the guest" dish as it always tastes great and looks like you went to a lot more work than you really did. we usually rub it with either Penzey's Galena Street Rub or their Northwoods seasoning.

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Thanks everyone.....Chubby, your planked brie was already on the possibles list. I should do two toppings, has anyone ever done one with sweet toppings?[p]~thirdeye~ 15367ef1.gif
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    thirdeye,[p]I've never cooked it on the egg (yet), but every year around the holidays I make a camembert with a topping of dried cranberries, sweet onions, butter, brown sugar and sherry. It's always a big hit.