Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prime rib

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,665
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
100_1096.jpg
<p />i normally dont cook to medium, but when guests bring the food i cook to their liking. the potatoes were steamed in butter and wine with mayan sweet onions. never had them before, but they are as good as videllas, shipped from peru
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• fishlessman, How did you like it at medium?
    Scott

• fishlessman,
    I'm thinking about doing prime rib for Christmas dinner. What was the method? I typically do a high-low when I do them indoors (ala TRex) I just haven't thought much about the timing for doing one on the egg.
    -Mike

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    prime2.jpg
    <p />EmandMs'Dad,[p]This is how I've done them in the past and they always come out great. One of my favorite cooks.[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Prime Rib[/ul]
  • Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    fishlessman,[p]I think I am the odd one with this, but IMHO you should not torch a prime rib - it makes it tougher. I have found after a LOT of trial and error that you should heat the bone in rib roast GENTLY. I typically do 325 degrees and pull it off no later than 110 degrees (it WILL cook more during its min of 15 min rest time). This fool proof method yields AMAZING prime rib slices that are tender and amazingly juicy!
  • duckegg
    duckegg Posts: 267
    fishlessman,
    Wow, Mateus, That was my favorite wine as a young man. Will have to pick up a bottle and reminise.

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Mr.jpg
    <p />EmandMs'Dad,[p]Hers's one I did last year....ala "T-Rex's" instructions he's posted below!![p]I did de-bone the hunk....(slather with the herb paste), and tie the ribs back on to cook![p]The Rib was strong with me that day.....[p]Letseat.jpg[p]And it was good!![p]It's hard to go wrong with Jason's plan!![p]Evans[p]
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • We cooked a prime rib yesterday following Faulkner's advice (same as your link) and it came out perfect. The only difference was that we used a raised grid with a drip pan underneath it because I couldn't find my platesetter. Dome temp was about 300 F, and we pulled the prime rib off when it hit an internal 130 F. It was medium rare and tasted excellent.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    duckegg,[p]No kidding, major flashback here too. After we moved off stuff with the twist off lid, Mateus was it. I might have to pick up some too.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    7c5d8921.jpg
    <p />Bigfoot,[p]I do them at 225° to 250°, then sear at the end if it is needed. The one above was pulled at 125°. I keep the Egg hot during the rest. If anyone wants a more done piece, theirs goes back on for a minute.[p]I've also had good luck cooking direct, low fire, with a raised grate, these don't need the end sear.[p]a3e82544.jpg[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    Scotty's Inferno,
    2 bone medium rare is what does it right, prime rib loses something going to medium.

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    EmandMs'Dad,
    i did this one at 250ish then seared at the end. direct raised grid on the small and the 3 bone rib just fits. normally, i cook 2 bone rib roasts with the initial sear, salt only. then the rest until the grill gets down to 325, about 35-40 minutes, and then roast direct on a raised grid. during the rest coat the roast with balsamic and whatever rub you like. we like end cuts here, and you get more with a couple of 2 bone roasts than one big one.

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    thirdeye,
    9.99 for 1500ml is a bargain.

fukahwee maine

• Chubby,[p]I do a Search but was unable to find the spices used. Can you give me a little more info as it looks like a recipe to try as compared to the usual salt and pepper.[p]Thanks,
    Howard