Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

quantity to size

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If I have a large egg, is it possible to cook one or two steaks or do I have to have lots of beef to make it cook properly. Ready to spend, still not sure what size.
Thanks,
"New Bob"

Comments

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    New Bob,I cook two steaks all the time for the wife and I on the large. It doesn't seem to matter the quantity, if it fits, cook it!. HTH. ChefRD[p]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    New Bob, you can do one or more steaks if you like..! You have 18" of grill..I like to keep my steaks toward the center as much as possible..to allow better air convection around the sides. I think most BGE users that have used the small BGE and Medium find the closer proximity of the grill to the hot coals is beneficial..others want to do steaks at the 400F level without searing.. In that case you can crowd more on. I thing the Large BGE rules when it comes to long low and slow cooking..ie: brisket and boston butt, as well as turkey day with dual bird's. Or big ham roasts..etc.
    Good luck on your choice.
    C~W[p]

• Orio Kid
    Orio Kid Posts: 87
    Options
    New Bob,
    My parents, and my wife, think I am an idiot anyway, but I have a large egg. Two nights ago I fired it up and did two hamburgers for myself. I wasn't in the mood for spaghetti. The egg did a great job with two hamburgers.
    If money is not a problem, get the large. Then the small...and since you are in the store...the mini will complement them both...and while you are there, and the checkbook is out, the medium will be perfect to compliment the small and the large. After that.....Oh my God!!! That is all of them.
    The man with the most toy's wins.
    Jake

• Char-Woody
    Options
    orio kid , I agree..add the chimnea..:-)[p]
  • Orio Kid
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Sorry. Ain't nobody ever said that I was the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    Jake

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options

Thanks to all for your great replies. I'm not sure but, will probably get the large egg as I've been called an egg head before. Maybe once an egg, always an egg. Hope I don't end up with egg on my???????
    This is a great forum and I thank all of you for you warm welcome.
    New Bob

• Char-Woody
    Options
    orio kid , Good one.. If't not for you I wouldn't have remembered all the rest of em. :-) Have a great eveing..how's the ribs doing?
    C~W

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    New Bob,...A hot Egg has no guilt!![p]It will cook anything from one lowly smoked olive to a great big turkey......It don`t care!,,,,......Light er up!!![p]
    Mop![p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    New Bob, not to worry, we have had our "shells" cracked plenty of times over the years..Unlike humpty..we get it all together again.. Its fun..We kinda lay back and rock and eat great food..
    Cheers to ya..and its a slow night!
    C~W...going that a way for the evening...!!

• Char-Woody
    Options
    New Bob, not to worry, we have had our "shells" cracked plenty of times over the years..Unlike humpty..we get it all together again.. Its fun..We kinda lay back and rock and eat great food..
    Cheers to ya..and its a slow night!
    C~W...going that a way for the evening...!!

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    New Bob,
    Howdy! welcome to a great group.I have a large EGG and usuall cook a couple of Large,thick steaks at a time,normally 2/2/5 at 750+ ,they always come out great!HOWEVER a few months ago I was going to show off and cook a big load of steaks for about 15 people,I figured two 10 min. cooks would have us ready to chow down.WRONG!!!!I loaded about six of them big boys on,temp took a nose dive,couldn't breathe to get temp back up,first batch took about an hour, rest a little quicker.one positive thing happened,couple of eaters left to feed dogsand never came back so we ate their fair share.The meat finally turned out good(only because you can't really ruin anything in EGG unless you REALLY work at it!)All that jabbering to say this,cook all you want in it,just leave it a little breathing room so the heat can do it's thing and you'll be fine.Good steakin'. Bob

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    HI C~W,guess we're the nite owls again.I've been hung up in the chicken roasting mode for the last 3 weeks.Theser weeks have been tough,I've had one relative and two close friends die,one each week.I've been getting some nice roasting chickens from Wallyworld brining them,marinade in Zesty-herb Grill mate for 4 or 5 hrs then cooking on a sitter with a little apple juice in a can under the rear opening,also been sprinkling some Obie sweetrub on everything before putting on fire.They are really good!Think I've got about a dozen folks thinking about EGGs.Hardees and KFC are getting smoked once REAL chicken is tasted.I've always liked BGE for myself,but the real joy is in sharing with folks who have a need,they take a bite,eyes light up,and every time they say "how did you fix this,it's the best i,ve ever tasted".AIN'T IT GREAT!! Bob

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Bamabob, hey, real sorry to hear about the losses. No matter who ya are, you miss em. I lost a good friend 35 years ago, and I can still see him plain as day, in my mind.
    You don't really lose em.
    I was going to shoot you a e.mail on a possible work around from the tiles on a BGE table. I will do that one day.
    Cheers to ya..C~W[p]

• Orio Kid
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    My dog is losing weight. She doesn't get to eat my mistakes anymore. Ribs are coming out great every time now
    Jake

• Char-Woody
    Options
    orio kid, your pup will learn..At my house its pass down the goodies or lose your leg..!!
    So I do!!
    C~W[p]