Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Butt or Mad Max Tukey?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was all ready to try a beer butt turkey on Thanksgiving. I have a couple of Foster's cans and was ready to go. I started searching the forum and saw all the good posts for Mad Max's turkey.
Which should I try? The beer butt seems easier than Mad Max's, but it looks like everyone likes Mad Max's.
Also for Mad Max's I would have to buy a pan and have some way to cook the turkey indirectly. I don't have anything for that.
What would everyone recommend? Is there an easy way to cook indirectly? I have the extra rack that I can put above or below the original rack.
Thanks[p]

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Gavin,
    are you talking about going direct with the beer can? .. .even with a beer butt turkey, i think i'd want a heat barrier between the fire and the bird, even if you just stick a a piece of aluminum foil on the grid with the beer can set up on top of that. .. either way you go at least do the ice bag on the breasts. . .

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    Gavin,
    Give Mad Max's a try - it will be fantastic. For the pan just buy a cheapie foil one at the store for 5 bucks. They have a metal frame and work fine - you can even still elevate it off the plate setter with tin foil feet

• BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Options
    Gavin,[p]I was really impressed with the Mad Max turkey. So was my wife, my daughter, the grandkids, etc. Did my first one this weekend for practice. I put the plate setter on legs up, and set the grill on the legs. Just used a heavy duty aluminum wire enforced throw away pan I bought for a few dollars.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Gavin,[p] I used my own tried and true recipe that I have used since my Mom started letting me cook the turkey; however, I used Max's setup in my egg. The ice down method is the best tip of them all.[p] If my youngest son, doesn't stop saying "That's the best darn Turkey I ever had" soon I think my oldest son is going to strangle him :) I will say I watched my older son eat the white meat for the first time.[p] Drink the beer. :)[p]