Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max turkey today

egghead2004
egghead2004 Posts: 430
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I'm warming up before I head to North Carolina for the real mad max cook for the in laws.[p]So I 've got the egg wariming up and going to cook a 12 # turkey today.[p]Warming%20up%20the%20egg.jpg
more to come

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    egghead 2004,
    just curious - why the safety cone way out there near the tree line?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • egghead 2004,
    can't wait to see and hear the results. . ..

• RRP,
    ha ha, that was put there when I was working on my shed in September after I planted the grass.[p]There is a sprinkler head that was gettin my saw horse and tools wet. [p]So I put the cone next to the head and it has been there since.[p]

• OK the bird went on the egg at 3:00, i know a little late, but it's only 12 pounds.[p]so here it os going on at 3pm with a little cherry smoke.[p]20061118%20mad%20max%20turkey%20002.jpg[p]and at 4pm, [p]
    20061118%20mad%20max%20turkey%20004.jpg[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Hey Max, how have you been? It's been a while since I've been here, busy.[p]Question, the breast was iced for 25 minutes, but is now cooking faster than the thigh, any ideas?

• egghead2004,
    what are the temps between breast and thigh? .. . [p]have you tented the breast? ....

• MMMMM good, the best one yet, although it gave me trouble.[p]When I bought the "fresh" turkey this morning, it had some ice on it. So I think the bottom half may have been slightly frozen which caused the breast to cook faster. At one point, the breast was 155 and the thigh was 140.[p]SO every time I basted, I put a bag of ice on the breast for 5 minutes, then closed the grill up again. [p]The finished product ended up 175 breast, 175 thigh. [p]No pics, but it was delicious.[p]It took about 5 hours at 320-325 dome temp.[p]The gravy was amazing, that takes some practice nad adjustments, but this is the 5th time I've made it and it was the best one. [p]I added only 1/2 lemon to the turkey as one whole lemon seems to citris flavor, but we all have outr own taste.[p]
    Thanks again Max!!

• egghead2004, ok - this is the setup i am planing on going with for my first BGE turkey. i assume that is the BGE v rack in a approximat 13''x9'' drip pan??? do you have that sitting directly on the grill grate??? thats what i was going to do ... advice please ....[p]Luke

• Luke findley,
    I just saw this now.[p]My roasting pan is 12" * 15" and the v rak is 10" * 12 1/2"[p]What I did for this 12# turkey was fill the lump up to about 1" below the top of the fire ring. [p]Place the grid on top of the fire ring.[p]Put the place setter inverted (legs up) on the grid.[p]Placed four of those little egg feet on the plate setter to lift up the roasting pan so there was an air space between the pan annd the plate setter.[p]Then I added a couple small fire bricks on the grid itself to keep direct heat from hitting the roasting pan. This prevents scortching the drippings.[p]Now, this workls right up to about a 17# bird, any bigger and the dome may hit the bird. After 17# you'll have to experiment with it while the bird is still in the wrapping.[p]My roasting pan is a non stick, I bought it from Linens n things, I think this is the one

[ul][li]Roasting pan[/ul]