Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Mad Max turkey today

egghead2004egghead2004 Posts: 423
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I'm warming up before I head to North Carolina for the real mad max cook for the in laws.[p]So I 've got the egg wariming up and going to cook a 12 # turkey today.[p]Warming%20up%20the%20egg.jpg
more to come

Comments

• RRPRRP Posts: 12,050
    egghead 2004,
    just curious - why the safety cone way out there near the tree line?

• egghead 2004,
    can't wait to see and hear the results. . ..

• RRP,
    ha ha, that was put there when I was working on my shed in September after I planted the grass.[p]There is a sprinkler head that was gettin my saw horse and tools wet. [p]So I put the cone next to the head and it has been there since.[p]

• OK the bird went on the egg at 3:00, i know a little late, but it's only 12 pounds.[p]so here it os going on at 3pm with a little cherry smoke.[p]20061118%20mad%20max%20turkey%20002.jpg[p]and at 4pm, [p]
    20061118%20mad%20max%20turkey%20004.jpg[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Hey Max, how have you been? It's been a while since I've been here, busy.[p]Question, the breast was iced for 25 minutes, but is now cooking faster than the thigh, any ideas?

• egghead2004,
    what are the temps between breast and thigh? .. . [p]have you tented the breast? ....

kcribs2.jpg
    499 x 374 - 0B
  • MMMMM good, the best one yet, although it gave me trouble.[p]When I bought the "fresh" turkey this morning, it had some ice on it. So I think the bottom half may have been slightly frozen which caused the breast to cook faster. At one point, the breast was 155 and the thigh was 140.[p]SO every time I basted, I put a bag of ice on the breast for 5 minutes, then closed the grill up again. [p]The finished product ended up 175 breast, 175 thigh. [p]No pics, but it was delicious.[p]It took about 5 hours at 320-325 dome temp.[p]The gravy was amazing, that takes some practice nad adjustments, but this is the 5th time I've made it and it was the best one. [p]I added only 1/2 lemon to the turkey as one whole lemon seems to citris flavor, but we all have outr own taste.[p]
    Thanks again Max!!

• egghead2004, ok - this is the setup i am planing on going with for my first BGE turkey. i assume that is the BGE v rack in a approximat 13''x9'' drip pan??? do you have that sitting directly on the grill grate??? thats what i was going to do ... advice please ....[p]Luke

• Luke findley,
    I just saw this now.[p]My roasting pan is 12" * 15" and the v rak is 10" * 12 1/2"[p]What I did for this 12# turkey was fill the lump up to about 1" below the top of the fire ring. [p]Place the grid on top of the fire ring.[p]Put the place setter inverted (legs up) on the grid.[p]Placed four of those little egg feet on the plate setter to lift up the roasting pan so there was an air space between the pan annd the plate setter.[p]Then I added a couple small fire bricks on the grid itself to keep direct heat from hitting the roasting pan. This prevents scortching the drippings.[p]Now, this workls right up to about a 17# bird, any bigger and the dome may hit the bird. After 17# you'll have to experiment with it while the bird is still in the wrapping.[p]My roasting pan is a non stick, I bought it from Linens n things, I think this is the one

[ul][li]Roasting pan[/ul]