Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib cooking ?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I used T.m's cooking method of 3 hours and 45 minutes but I used a rib rack and the cooking bricks...I did not open the egg for 3 hours to check on ribs..I didn't want to let temperture go down..I cooked them at 325 degrees and they came out at 3 hours on the over done side..I used same bricks he has on his site and I'm wondering if using rib rack the ribs are a little higher in egg to cause over heating..thanks john

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    JOHN B/ST.CLAIR,
    Were they babybacks or spares? How do you know they were overdone?
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    JOHN B/ST.CLAIR,[p]Nature Boy asked the same questions I would have. I wonder how you judged them as "overdone"? A pretty good test of rib doneness is by temp (many use a fork test or rotating the rib bone but these never work for me) and anything over 180 is ok and if over 190 its great. It's a bit tricky to get the meat temp and not touch bone or poke the thermometer through the meat but its a good test for doneness if the other methods don't work for you.[p]Being higher or lower in the dome, if over a ceramic mass, makes very little difference in my opinion so I don't think the rib rack was any problem. Cooking 3 hrs at 325 would not produce an overdone rib, it might not even fully cook them in 3 hrs (my site said 3hr 45 min @325). [p]Over the years we have realized that people all like and expect something different in ribs. One does not fit all. That is why you see so many various ribs methods here on the forum. Direct produces a different texture than does the indirect which is different than the 3-1-1.5 method and so on. Baby backs also cook in a little less time (on average) than do spare ribs so add time because most of my times/temps are for baby backs which are my favorite.[p]Tell us more details.[p]Tim
  • Tim M,[p] I bought spareribs,and the texture was more like jerky,not juicy at all..I did watch temp which varied from 325 to 350,also i did not put any liquid in the drip pan...And also Tim i used 4 bricks instead of 5 like you show on your site...Next time I will try your way to the T and see how it goes..thank you..john
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    John B/st.clair,
    I am going with the theory that your ribs were not done. [p]A few weeks ago, I think it was Orio kid was having rouble with ribs. He described the texture as "jerky" also, and he thought they were overdone. Turned out they were underdone. Keep them on until a fork slides in and out easily, or you can twist a rib off. After the collagen in the meat breaks down, they will be tender and moist (the collagen converts to gelatin).[p]Underdone ribs are always chewy. I think overdone ribs would be dry, but not tough. [p]Hang in there! Like Orio Kid, you'll have it down in no time.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ