Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Round Eye Roast

Options
Cornfed
Cornfed Posts: 1,324
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a beef round eye roast to do tomorrow or Tuesday if I'm snowed in. I'm thinking of seasoning with kosher salt, black pepper, and some olive oil. Then I'm thinking of cutting several slits in the beef and filling the slits with some chunks of garlic. After this, into the pan for some quick searing, a couple of minutes per side, to seal in the juices. I'm thinking of placing several sage leaves in the pan to flavor the beef and give my apartment a nice aroma. After the sear, I'm thinking of throwing onto Mr Small BGE on a rack over a cheapo grip pan at something like 150 over mesquite chunks and Jack Daniels chips. Finally, I'm thinking of putting some slices of onion and some more sage leaves on the roast itself and then putting some garlic, onions, sage, and carrots in the drip pan for aroma. I'll let the temp rise from 150 to about 300 and take it off at some internal temp (don't know off the top of my head what the medium rare temp is for this type of meat...any ideas?).[p]I guess I have a few questions. 1 - does this sound palatable? I pretty much saw a small selection of good looking meats in the store today as everyone was loading up for the storm. I grabbed this cut since it looked nice then grabbed a bunch of ingredients that sounded good at the time. 2 - I've always heard about searing in the pan to seal in the juices. Would cutting slits in the meat for the garlic defeat the purpose of the sear as there will now be several "holes" in the meat?[p]Anyway, ribs tonight (see FLT's post below), beef tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm now hearing that the storm may not be too bad since the temps are pretty high right now so there's not much accumulation. Either way, we're prepped for the long haul, food-wise, just in case.[p]Cornfed[p]

Comments

• NoleGirl
    NoleGirl Posts: 33
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Sounds like you are prepared for anything!! Let me know how it turns out, 'cause it sounds scrumptious. I may have to come back and print your recipe to try for myself. Now they are saying we may have a little snow shower ourselves!! I'm prepared if that happens 'cause I bought out the store for all of my new eggsperiments this weekend!!! Lisa

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Searing the meat doesn't "seal" the moisture in the meat. A sear provides two things; a nice tasty crust and a interaction zone (this crust) between the moisture leaving the meat and the heat entering the meat. Add the garlic to the slits prior to the sear. Should work fine.[p]As an eye round tends to be lean, your thoughts of finishing at a higher temp is good. Lean meat likes a shorter cook. Beef is medium rare at about 130°F internal. Give it a 15 minute rest prior to slicing. The internal will rise during the rest.[p]The heat of the higher temp cook will tend to burn anything added to the drip pan. How about deglazing the searing pan (good flavors bits here) with a dry white wine and make a sauce from that?[p]Spin
  • Cornfed
    Options
    Spin,[p]Now we're talkin'! Thanks for the info, suggestions, and tips. As for deglazing, I don't have any stock on hand and I actually don't have any dry white wine on hand (just bought a Merlot to go with the beef). Also, maybe I can use some beef broth to deglaze. The pan sauce idea is a definite must, though, now that you mention it.[p]On another note, I just saw an issue of New Jersey magazine (yes, I sometimes read NJ magazine...) which ranks good places to live in NJ. I think they have a small writeup on Millville. Haven't read it yet but I'll send you an electronic version if I can find it and if it's any good.[p]Cornfed
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    www.lakeguntersville.org
    <p />Cornfed,
    A good place to live in cold, damp and crowded conditions? Check out my town. hehe

[ul][li]God's Country.[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Deglaze with the merlot and add onions (etc) to create the flavoring you want. Use the beef broth as the liquid to make it a sauce. Thicken as necessary.[p]If you find it, send it to me (whatever the inference). Thanks.[p]Spin
  • Cornfed
    Options
    JJ,[p]Oh, yeah! I'll post some pics of my apartment complex that will put that lake to shame! Yeah, you may have the wonderous sites of nature, but do you have any chemical factories within walking distance???[p]Just kidding. Looks beautiful. And in truth, where I live is pretty nice, too. There are a bunch of areas within 20-30 minutes of me that are beautiful, too. I'm trying to pick one in which to settle. Most likely within the next year (maybe two...).[p]Cornfed
  • Cornfed,[p]Check out your grocery store soup section for a product called "Better than Boullion". It comes in many flavors and is close to homemade stock as I have ever tasted. Also, deglazing works as well with red wine as with white wine. [p][p]

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Mardi, I've used the stuff for years now. Good product in my opinion. Painter