Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yellow Onions for Smoke???

Options
BillyT
BillyT Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I read on another site that if you toss 1-2 yellow onions on the lump they will add a nice flavor to a prime rib. Does anybody have any experience with this? I'm cooking a prime rib today and I am reluctant to experiment with an expensive and otherwise fool proof cut of beef.

Comments

• NoleGirl
    NoleGirl Posts: 33
    Options
    BillyT,
    I've read that also on some different recipes on this forum and otherwise. I'm not sure if it was for Prime Rib or other things though. If you like the flavor of onion I don't see what it could hurt. I did my first Prime Rib last night using a pepper, garlic, kosher salt rub. It was great!! Right now I've got a 6 lb Boston Butt on(1st time) for pulled pork using CharWoody and JJ's advice and rub. I can hardly wait!

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    BillyT,
    I was the one that posted it. I was in a store here and a Mexican lad told me that was his gramps secret when they did the flank steaks and chickens on an open pit grill. I took that nugget of wisdom home to the enclosed ceramic. It does have a good effect on the meat and drives a smoke ring into the meat pretty darned far. All I can say is to try it out and see if you like it! I do it on just about everything. It's great on a prime rib. Let me know what you think.