Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

up in the air

Options
Orio Kid
Orio Kid Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The other day there were some questions and answers about the small egg and the daisy wheel top. Which top should I buy? I think Tim mentioned that he thought the medium would be better because it is slightly larger than the small, and is not as tight. I am going to buy one or the other tomorrow. Hopefully my small will be sitting on my porch monday, if the ups man can see his way to deliver it.
Jake

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    orio kid,[p]I have the small BGE with the daisy designed for the small BGE. Originally, the fit was perfect - snug with a little wiggle so you could rotate it if you pleased. After a couple years of usage, the felt or whatever fabric inside burned loose and eventually fell out. I never bothered to reattach and I've been cooking with a felt-less daisy ever since. I can still control temps and the daisy still maintains the temps I want. Incidentally, I killed the seal on the dome on my third or fourth cook on the BGE when I was trying steaks and let the flames get away from me. I've never replaced it and I can still control temps precisely and can still extinguish a load of lump by closing the dome (ie - the seal is still good enough to do what it's supposed to do).[p]My long winded point is this: get the daisy or slide top or combo top designed for the Small if you can. If not, don't worry about it and use what you get. The main idea is controlling the amount of air allowed out of the top. Many Eggers cook "topless" and still control the temp efficiently. Some control the amount of air allowed through the top by using tin foil or placing a brick partially over the top. The point is restricting the amount of air flow through the top vent. To me, how or if you do that is up to you. Whether you choose to do that through one top or the other, as long as you can control your temps you're in pretty good shape. I personally feel that you can control the temps through the top vent in a number of ways, so I think you'll be good regardless of the top you choose.[p]Cornfed
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Cornfed,
    ""After a couple years of usage, the felt or whatever fabric inside burned loose and eventually fell out. I never bothered to reattach and I've been cooking with a felt-less daisy ever since. ""[p]
    You must have a medium slide-daisy top, Cornfed. The top made for a smal would not have enough room to put felt inside it. My small top is tight and you can't easily turn it when its in place. Actually, I had to grind a high spot on my small's chimney to make the top not wobble. [p]I have never tried a med top on a small so I don't know which is better - either obviously work but it seems that the medium top needs the felt liner if used on the small. [p]Tim

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Tim M, Both you and Cornfed are correct as per our other post.
    I didn't know I had the medium daisy until Tim pointed out the measurements. Mine is also 5 inches inside width. I had the felt wrap..and took it off.
    It became a gooopy mess. The medium daisy works fine on the small without the felt, just as Cornfed has indicated. It's just a more floppy fit.
    Cheers to ya...
    C~W

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I think you guys are right about me having the medium daisy. I'll measure later to be sure (what else am I going to do during the storm...).[p]And now, off to add to the pre-storm hysteria. Being the procrastinator I am, I'm off to the store for some last second storm shopping.[p]Cornfed
  • Cornfed, Don't forget the beer and shovel..:-)

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]We have gone from predicting snow today to snow tomorrow and its been cut back from 18" to maybe 2-4". I'll beleive it when I see some snow. I bet you might get a bunch though --- get read to grill something.[p]Tim
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Cornfed,
    I have a small with the small slide-daisy top. It is not snug and fits just nicely. I wonder if there aren't different batches out there accounting for the apparent different sizes.
    JimW