Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK, I got it... first thoughts and a concern....

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
egg.jpg
<p />Well, I picked up the egg today. The dealer took about an hour with me explaining how to work everything. Then he helped me get it in my truck, while his wife was running behind trying to fill me up with freebies, egg hats, coozies, cups, samples of rubs, ect...[p]I got some nice ribeyes with the bone in, about 1.25lbs each, and followed his directions. He told me to open the bottom vent fully, remove the top cover completey, and put the steaks on at about 750 degrees, two and a half minutes each side, after the second side, put the damper on, close the vent and lets em finish for about another two minutes. He was right, probably one of the best tasting steaks I have EVER had. Pure heaven, they seared nicely to a beautiful deep mohagany color, and melted in your mouth.[p]Now the bad. when I was to remove the steaks, the damper was on and the vent was closed, the grill was already down to 400 degrees, there was a strong vacuum and I couldn't pull it open, so I removed the damper and opened it, when I did, most of the felt peeled away, to keep it out of the fire, I pulled the felt loose, removed the tasty steaks and closed it all up to put the fire out.[p]What is up with the felt? does it come off on everybody? do you just not need it? I am a bit concerned.[p]PS. I have attached a picture of the momentous occasion.[p]PSS. Weber for sale... cheeeeep![p]Jerry

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Jerry, apparently doing a high temperature cook as the first thing is loosening the adhesive holding the felt down. I cooked a lot at 350 before trying a high temp cook and I had no problems with my felt when I finally got it up to 800. The felt is there to provide a better seal when you are trying to cook at low temperatures and to keep the ceramic to ceramic clanking that might occur otherwise. Mine is pretty well baked on (or some would say baked off) and I just have not bothered to replace it. I have soem ceramic tape that I bought to replace the felt but since I am still maintaining low temperatures OK, I have not even done that yet.
    Your dealer should have a replacement kit at a nominal cost but you may find you can reposition the old one and just cook a bit lower for a while until it seems to be adhered again.

• OK, I have gone outside and CSI'd the felt strips. The problem is, is that they stuck together pretty good. They are still stuck together.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Wise One,
    or if your dealer charges to much call the mothership they are GREAT i live two hours away from it and order everything from there my local dealer thinks because he owns it, it should cost more
    welcom to the club
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Jerry,[p]I'm pretty new at this, but it seems its not a big deal.[p]I usually yank out my steaks before closing the vents. When I go back to the Egg, I've not had a problem. I've never had the gasket adhesive melt. However, I did manage to burn my gasket when I had a grease fire while doing pizza 2 weeks after getting my Egg. I replaced my gaskets a few weeks later, just to be sure I was getting the best temperature control [p]About 200 pounds of charcoal later, and after at least 6 700 + degree cooks, I haven't had any gasket problems.[p]gdenby

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Jerry,
    well if they are stuck together throw them away and buy new one i have replaced mine and it was fairly easy i needed scraper (for old one) and a can of beans(to push it on better)have not had a problem in two years but as you can see the pizza is where people usually "fry" one

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Wise One,
    my first cook was a "t-rex". no gasket problems, but from reading here recently, it seems that the loose gasket is a problem. my gasket seared on a pizza cook.[p]bge (the company)did a lot of things well. the gasket and the extended grill were not in that group.[p]just my $0.02

• el jefe,[p]They're in the final testing of some higher temp gaskets. I expect good things in the near future.[p]Ed
  • Egginator,
    Man, I hope so. Don't get me wrong, I SWEAR by the BGE. But it seems like when you advertise your product cooking to high temps, and for the $$$, all parts should withstand those temperatures. However, in the long run, it is a minor inconvienence for the delicious meals it makes.

• Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    A couple of folks have mentioned that pizza baking often causes problems with the felt...can someone explain why? You don't bake a pizza at a higher temp than searing steak, do you?
  • cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    Links
    <p />Jerry,[p]Welcome.[p]First things first, throw away any cookbook you received with the egg.[p]Second, visit the site of other eggers, including Naked Whiz and WessB most importantly. I've got links to their sites and others' below.

[ul][li]http://www.squidoo.com/biggreenegg/[/ul]
  • EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    I cook pizza around 850 dome, which is a bit more than for steak. After cooking the gasket that came with the egg (it had lasted 4 years), I tried the alternative using permatex copper, but the temp was too high. Now I just run without a gasket after adjusting the bands to the new fit. No problem keeping low temps.

Jerry, I tend to warn newbies about two things: burning the gasket at high temps and flashback. The latter is more important to know about - see the Naked Whiz website.

- Ed
  • Tractor,[p]I am a newbie, but I would assume the frying the gasket when baking pizza occurs because the top is kept open longer while situating the pizza, etc. and therefore gets much more air = HOT[p]Tom