Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled beef recipes cooking idea's

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to make shredded beef for sandwiches to enjoy the OSU vs UM football game this weekend. I am wondering if anyone has any recipes to make shreded beef on the egg or really any idea's on cuts of meat to use, temps and durations. My plan today is to brine a rumb roast(or two) with a bourbon/onion base, use a meat rub and cook the meat at about 225 for 12+ hours. I will make a mop of Bourbon, rub, oil, etc that will be applied frequently. [p]Thank you in advance for any recipes or suggestions

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Egging in Michigan (go blue),[p] 12+ hours for a rump roast may make it quite dry. You'd be better off cooking to temp not to time.
  • wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    Egging in Michigan (go blue),
    In the recipe section on this site, look for ClayQ's pulled beef... it is excellent!
    wrobs

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    GO BLUE!!! are you dead set on beef if not a picnic shoulder is tasty and rather easy
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Egging in Michigan (go blue),[p]Here is the link to ClayQs' pulled beef. The cooking method will work for you. Just use your own seasonings if you would like. Where are you in Michigan?[p]E
    [ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/beef0378.htm[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I'm down here in IL -kinda colorblind to that state rivalry stuff, but if you really want great shredded beef just follow the suggestions already made here - ClayQ's recipe can't be beat!!! BTW in stage 2 I add a finely diced Golden Delicious apple and I don't know what state that came from either!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 33MVC-005E.jpg
    <p />Egging in Michigan (go blue),[p]There are many methods for doing pulled beef on your cooker and Clay does have a great one but if you decide that you don't want BBQ'ed beef, this method might work better for you as it is much easier. We use a lot of pulled beef in our salads, also in our Chicago style Pit Beef, most of our Mexican dishes, and several other casseroles and this beef will work well for many other treats that are not BBQ'ed or sauced.[p]The info is in the archives in several places but I did find one this time and will leave the address.[p]Dave

[ul][li]Pulled Beef[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    100_1021.jpg
    <p />Egging in Michigan (go blue),
    rump roast is the wrong cut for pulled beef, you want a chuck roast. i start with an 8 pound piece cut from the chuck roll and slow cook it over a pan with beer. its important to foil these part way into the cook (i add selzer water to the foil as a tenderizer) and you need to cook them up to 205/210 internal. foil in a cooler for a few hours and add the collected juice back in when its pulled with some sauce.

[ul][li]pulled beef[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thank you all for your input and the recipes. I am going to try all the suggestions here, I may play around a little and see what happens. Of course given forcast of rain and snow I will need to adjust for the weather but in the end we will enjoy a new treat. Agian, thank you for you help