Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max Iced Breast

Options
HighCotton
HighCotton Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We too enjoyed the Mad Max recipe last year. [p]I ran across a very old turkey recipe that suggests using a rack of spare ribs over the turkey breast when roasting/smoking. [p]This recipe was intended for wild turkey so I'm wondering if the spare ribs were to help moisten the bird or to keep the breast from drying out, or both. Either way I'm thinking this method could impart a whole new level of flavor for the Butterball bird and the gravy. Reading the ice bag commentary on Naked Whiz, I didn't see where this method had ever been tried.[p]Any thoughts? Will I screw it up big time??

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    HighCotton,[p]Well some ribs across the breast would certainly be a heat sink. I guess the colder the better? [p]As far as Max's ice bag method, many of us have tried it and it works great. Also works on chickens if you like to cook them whole.[p]Now...I have not tried this because Max's method works just fine, but if you really want to get western, the method H. McGee speaks of is more involved. In addition to an ice pack, it calls for chilling the roasting pan and cooking the bird breast down on a layer of frozen veggies, then turning the bird halfway through the cook. [p]If you do that rib thing, please let us know how it turns out.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    HighCotton,
    hell if i know. .. the point of the ice bag is to lower the breast temps sufficiently compared to the thighs at the start of the roasting process so that they will both be done at the same time. . .over the years i've tried other methods like starting out breast down, covering the breasts with an old terry cloth towell (guess the ribs would add more flavor than that towel), paper bags etc. . .all of these resulted in nice moist breast meat, but nothing works as well as the ice bag IMHO. ..[p]but go ahead and try it out and let us know what happens (although i think i'd try this out first prior to thanksgiving - not everyone might like rib tasting turkey). ..

• I think I'd go with a couple whole packs of cold bacon. Just shape them over the breasts and cook away. Take em off about half way through. Just kidding really... go with the ice... it works.

• When I was using an ECB, I would put the turkey on the lower rack and do ribs on the upper rack. Worked as a method of hassle free basting, plus, would get a nice mess of ribs. :-) I originally read about it using a ham, but I like ribs better. Perhaps that's what they meant by putting ribs over the breast, not directly on.