Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh Man I am sooooo excited

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Three of my friends have bought BGE's. I work at a wholesale food distributor as the IT manager, we are also a USDA meat processing facility, and I have access to the finest meats in America. Two others that I work with have bought eggs, I was a hold out with my Weber Gas grill. They finally convinced me to call Fritz Schmickle in St. Augustine Fl. Fritz told me he is getting low with the upcoming holidays but would be happy to hold one for me. I am getting a Large with metal nest and folout tables. I think Friday I will get some Center Cut strips at around 16oz size to celebrate the new addition. Wish me well, going to try to pick it up today or tomoorow!

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Jerry,
    Welcome and good luck....now send some of them prime steaks down to me...LOL[p]Wess

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Jerry,
    Welcome aboard. We fully expect to see you, and your fine meats, at the upcoming Florida Eggfest!!!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    Jerry,
    My first cook was also steaks, although not as special as the ones you describe. My mistake was not letting the lump burn long enough to burn clean, and my steaks had a very smoky taste. They were still very good, but not the quality of which the egg is capable.
    Good luck and welcome to the cult.

• cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    Options
    Jerry,[p]If you haven't spent the time, I'd recommend that you troll around some of the BGE owners' sites, particularly wess b and the naked whiz's. I've got a bunch of them compiled in the link below.

[ul][li]links to BGE sites[/ul]
  • Jerry,
    I’m just two weeks into the exact same set up… except I skipped the shelves and got a plate setter. So far I've cooked steaks twice, chicken and game hens, a 12# turkey and assorted veggies and a loaf of bread. Everything has come out excellent. These guys are right… read and follow the directions/recipe’s/links here and the learning curve is really short. One word of caution… pay close attention to your first few fire startups. I went WAY hot once and it’s not much fun. Enjoy.

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Jerry,
    Check the calibration of your thermometer that goes in your dome when you get it. I believe it is page 30 in your Big green egg cookbook. The free Green Big Green Egg cookbook needs updating the cook times in the book are incorrect Your best bet is to use this forum and check out the "Naked Whiz Website". Happy Egging! [p]Best Regards, Pharmeggist

• Jerry,
    dude, you're screwed! pretty soon you'll be posting pix of your cooks and making webpages!

[ul][li]a few of my cooks ![/ul]