Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Batch of Ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had company over tonight. Three slabs from Sams, cut KC style and marinated for three hrs and then slathered in mustard and covered with rub overnight.
Placed'em on my double-decker rig for four and a half hrs over three big chunks of mesquite. I let the egg struggle for the first half hr to get from 190 to 230 degrees as I've read thatsmoke penetrates best at low temps. Also put my ribs on cold for the same reason. Then 250 steady until done.Probably the best ribs I ever had.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Dr. Seuss, where did you learn to cook like that..:-) Congrat's on the "best" ever..Strange, but every cook in the future that might be also be the case..:-) Lots of ways you can vary your rib cooks to find the "perfect" one. Thats the fun
    Cheers..
    C~W[p]

• Dr. Seuss,
    I'm going to give your "cool" temp trick a wirl. The one thing I've found that makes a huge difference with ribs,is if you slick the membrane along the back of the rib and peel it off prior to cooking. If you've never done it, give it a try.
    happy egg'n!

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Dr. Seuss,[p]Do you happen to have any good recipes for Green Eggs and Ham on the BGE? My good friend Sam I Am is coming by later and I want something to knock his socks off.[p]Just kidding. Congrats on the awesome ribs! My friend and neighbor, Finger Lickin' Tom, just went "snow shopping" in prep for the big storm we're supposed to get tomorrow. Big s;ab of pork spares, some sausages, and, of course, some beers. I have chicken breasts and I think some enormous pork chops in the freezer. I think we're prepared to be snowed in for a couple of days...[p]Cornfed

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cornfed, I have been watching that weather front and its going to be a "LuLu". (Old comic strip) A full blown blizzard I have heard..Did I see -45 below up there??
    Brrrrr....50's here today..time for shorts..:-)
    C~W

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    NO! NO! Please not the shorts![p]We don't want you gittin' arrested! :-)))[p][p]Dr. Chicken

• tony3xl,Yes, I forgot to mention the membrane removal. First time I've done that too. I was just stunned at how meaty and moist the ribs were, but not fatty. My buddy just kept mummbling "gaad these are good". Also, I noticed JJ's rub has ground rosemary in it and my wife loves that stuff. So I added some with my rub and I think it improved the overall flavor. See ya!