Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first Tri Tip - looking for advice

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's time to try something new! So far I've cooked several pork butts and briskets on my old clay kamado pot and it's time to try something new. I've picked up two tri tips weighting in a 3 pounds each. What suggestions do you all have for cooking them? Things like rubs you think work well on them, cooking styles (Direct vs indirect and temps) would be great. Oh yeah, and about how long should I expect for a cook on these bad boys.[p]Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Robert,
    I did one of these two weekends ago. I rubbed it with McCormicks Spicey Montreal steak seasoning and cooked in at 250 for about an hour. I like my meat rare. It was awsome!!!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Robert, Check out Grillin Bill's recipe. I got to prepare and cook this for Bill last year at the Eggfest, as he was not able to attend. He actaully mailed me the tri-tip, and al the ingredients. [p]Follow his instructions, and you are in for some good eats.
    Cheers!
    NB

[ul][li]Killer Tri Tip[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Robert,[p]I do it about the same way as tony3xl, with a spicy rub. Try the link below.[p]One of my favorite things on the Egg! Enjoy them.[p]Cathy
    [ul][li]Tex-Mex Tri-tip[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Robert, here is where Char-Crust and JJ's rub really shine.
    A good thick layer of either one and then sear that tri-tip over hot 700F degree or higher very quickly on all sides..
    Use thick tongs so you don't penetrate the meat.
    Just put the tri-tip in, close dome..wait a minute, rotate, and repeat till all sides are seared well.
    Then put leave it on the grill, close dome, put daisy wheel on wide open, or slider cracked about a inch.
    You want to bring the temp down (and it will come down nicely) to around 350F for the reast of the roast. In about 45 minutes, put in a thermometer to the center of the roast and check for about 135 to 140 internal temperature.
    Remove and place in foil for 10 to 15 minutes on a platter.
    Then remove to a second platter and carve. Save the au jus from the first platter for a dipping sauce.
    Great stuff.
    Then there is a link to http://orbeef.org/tritip-brochure.htm
    for other cook recipes that you can adapt to the BGE.
    Good luck and welcome to the best "clutch" of eggs in the countryside.
    C~W[p]

[ul][li]Oregon Beef[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Cat, I tromped on ya..I bow to me "egg" partner..
    How's things in NY state?
    I love tri-tips..George in Colorado put me up to my first one. His is a Tri-Tip Walkerswood Jerk combo..Also a tongue tantalizer.
    Cheers to ya Cat...
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Nature Boy, I forgot Bills fine contribution..Dang, also a great one.
    It's getting me in the mood for "whats for dinner tonight" question..Ooooops...Wiffy must have sixth sense..took checkbook..sigh.
    C~W

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]The recipe sounds fantastic, but I would recommend that Robert not attempt it as his cooker is a clay kamado. The Maximum temperature this cooker can withstand is about 325°F.[p]Spin
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Spin, Yompin Yimminy, Gee Whiz..I should go back and read my own post several weeks ago regarding "older Imperials and BGE's...You are absolutely correct..so take the slower route Robert. You will still get fantastic eats..
    Cheers to ya and thanks for the "heads up" Spin.
    C~W[p]

• tony3xl,[p]I am a novice at some of this. Tell me what cut of what is a Tri Tip?
    Thanks.[p]Ray Price

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Ray Price, Check out Char-Woody's post above at 12:44:11 and get in too his oregon beef post good eatin. Painter