Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey, THIRDEYE

Options
Meinbmw
Meinbmw Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I followed your buckboard bacon thread and now have a 6.5 boneless but cured for 10 days and ready to go.[p]You mentioned starting at 180, then lowering to 140 as I recall? How long approx. will it take to smoke this bad boy so it is ready for slicing? Do you take it to a specific internal temp.[p]Thanks much for any help you can offer.

Comments

• BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Options
    meinbmw,[p]Sorry to butt in. I think it calls for starting at 180 F for two hours and then ramping up to 200 F until internal temp is 140 - 150 F. Lowering to 140 might have undesired results. My temp sometimes gets that high just setting out on the patio in the sun. I have done several of these lately and am very pleased. We do not like much salt so I rinse them and then soak in cold water for a couple of hours before putting on the egg. Again, we like very little salt. Have used both hickory and maple wood for smoking. Am leaning more to the maple lately. Again, just my humble opinion.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    169f9bca.jpg
    <p />meinbmw,[p]The temps were the other way around, start low and ramp up to finish. You can click on the link below for the whole how-to & some tips. Here is a snip from my cookin' site:[p]In my Egg: I use a direct setup with raised grate & grate extender. My cooking level is about 12" above the coals. I like a 180° pit temp for 2 hours, then ramp the temp up to 200° until the internal temperature of the meat is 140° to 150°. Every 30 minutes or so I drop a few chips through the grate and onto the coals.[p] If you http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com you will go to my cookin' site. Look for the Buckboard bacon page in the PORK section.[p]Hope you enjoy it![p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    Options
    BOBF,[p]When I first put my Buckboard page up I forgot to stress the immportance of resting the meat in the refrigerator after it goes through the rinse cycle. (this is important in liquid brining too) A couple of hours minimum to overnight. (I have added this information recently) [p]This resting will not recuce the level of saltiness, but it allows naturnal migration of the cure to equalize within the piece of meat. [p]Glad it is working out for you, it is a great product and other than waiting time, it is very easy.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks. That makes sense. I have a tenderloin I am about to start the curing process on and I will rest it in the fridge before smoking. It seems the salt has been just too heavy on the outer edge for us unless I soak in fresh water for a long time. That said, it is still less salty that most commercial bacon and most canadian bacon. My brother wants to cure some wild hog hams with the buckboard bacon cure. He is pretty good and it should be interesting. Any hints?

• thirdeye
    Options
    BOBF,[p]It's funny, but sometimes our brains process misleading information from our tongues. If your first bite from the that outer outer edge is too salty, sometimes you think the whole thing is too salty.[p]No tips on the wild hogs and I have never tried the cure on a ham, only a shoulder. Maybe some snooping on the Morton's site may yield some information. I have many books on home-curing, I'll see if I can find anything. [p]Be sure and let us know how it comes out. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~