Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread Question(s)

BurntRaw
BurntRaw Posts: 565
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There has been a lot of post about bread as of late so I decided to give it shot last night.[p]Got some frozen dough and, following the directions on the package, greased a loaf pan (glass in this case) cover with plastic wrap, and let rise for 6 hours at room temp.[p]Placed in the egg at 350 and "baked" for 25 min. It stuck to the bottom of the loaf pan, but other then that was pretty good.[p]The questions: To use a loaf pan or not, and what is the difference (a lot of the bread photos show just the loaf on the stone)? Is 25 min at 350 about right? And finally, how do you know when bread is actually done (I went by color and firmness)?[p]Thanks

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    BurntRaw,
    You can tell with an instant read thermometer. 200-205 degrees works for me, but at my elevation water boils at 207. You want it to be a couple degrees below boiling temp. -RP

• BurntRaw,
    You can also thump the bottom of the loaf. If it sounds hollow it is done. AZ

• BurntRaw,
    It's a matter of preference as to how you bake bread on the egg. If I'm making a loaf for sandwiches, I'd bake it in the pan. I make a lot of bagettes on the egg and use a bagette pan for that. If you want a lot of crisp crust, then sprinkle your stone with cornmeal and bake it free form on the stone. I also bake small loafs in stoneware crocks on the egg and have friends that bake in flower pots. Any way you do it, it's going to be far better than the plasstic wrapped store variety.
    GrillMan
  • 12nov06-016.jpg
    <p />BurntRaw,
    about 23 minutes at 400 degrees is what's been good to me for risen, frozen bread dough...
    what did you grease the pan with? i use pam or grill spray on china and foil pans and it ain't stuck yet! heheh...
    the problem with putting the risen dough on the pizza stone is the loaf always drops when i transfer from the rising vessel to the stone. so it really depends on how dense you want the bread to be. want a full, tall, airy loaf? leave it in the pan. want a cool looking denser bread for maybe a giant chicken or turkey sandwich? transfer to pizza stone with a heavy sprinkle of corn meal (or it'll stick badly!)[p]want some amazing and easy to make beer bread mixes? order from tastefully simple... these great loafs take about 70 minutes at 375, but dang they are good (see photo above)! i take em out of the pan and flip em over on direct for about 5 minutes to get the grid marks cause it just wasn't photo worthy without it...

• AZRP
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    I put a piece of parchment paper on my pizza peel and let the loaf rise on it. That way it slides onto the stone with very little disturbance. -RP

• 20-21oct06-073.jpg
    <p />AZRP,
    yeah, i've read about that method on here...
    you bake with the paper underneath, right?
    and a box of parchment and a peel are on the list...
    martha needs a present every week![p]i still kinda like the different kinds of loafs, in pan or on transfer to stone. how do you make a denser bread from the same loaf of frozen bread dough? heck, i'm still new to this, but i'm learning as fast as i can![p]the above loaf was baked at 400 for 23 in a foil loaf pan. it rose in the pam sprayed foil pan all day.

• AZRP
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    BBQing and grilling is childs play compared to baking. Breadmaking is truly rocket science as far as I'm concerned. Getting consistant results is the difficult part. I tried a beer bread after one of your posts last week. It was 3 cups AP flour, 3 Tbs sugar, and a room temp bottle of corona. Simple but really good. Wife and daughter loved it. -RP

• AZRP,
    rocket science? naaaaaa, just a good helping of good old fashion common sense, mon! i've never made a loaf that wasn't special in it's own way and they've all been totally edible![p]hey mon! you made beer bread! that's good to hear! it's great for amazing your friends... just grab their beer and pour it in a bowl and make some bread! heheh[p]

• AZRP
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Everything I have made breadwise has been good, the hard part is making it the same thing taste the same each time. BTW, the bread guru here is Old Dave, he does some amazing baking. -RP

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    RP,

Our new bread-making bible is this one. We bought it a few weeks ago, and our bread-making has hit new levels. We actually did one batch where we cooked a couple of the loaves in the oven with a stone, steam etc and one in the egg. I hate to say it, but we could barely tell the difference between the two that were shaped as rounds. The egg version was a little darker, and both were scrumptious. Unfortunately, I don't have a reasonable digicam, or I would have put them up with a "guess which is which" contest.

- Ed