Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question for the rib cooking experts.....

Sandbagger
Sandbagger Posts: 977
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
126_2647.jpg
<p />If you where to stack ribs, say - two per level, what is your recommendation for the minimum distance between grid 1 and grid 2. I realize more is better, but I am curious what you think the minimium can be and still provide a good (even) cooking environment.[p]In the picture, the space between the grids is apprximately 3.25 inches and that's about the maximum. I built it so, the bottom rack slides out like an oven rack: easy foiling, moving or saucing. [p]The two grids are Weber grids with the ends cut off, creating grids a smidge over 12 inches wide. They are interchangable. [p]Thanks for the help. T

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Sandbagger, I WANT ONE!! Nice setup, good idea.

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Sandbagger,
    Can we add that to my order. You are going to have to stop this. That is way tool errr cool. Richard

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Sandbagger,[p]Intriguing device! [p]I'd think the controlling factor is not just the distance between the grids but also the degree by which each set of slabs obstruct the flow of air to the other set. Since heat always rises unless forced to do otherwise (e.g., in a convection oven,) it appears that you have a ceramic plate setter under everything with a second "plate setter" made out of slabs of ribs on the lower level.
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Haggis,
    On a low slow most of heat is comming from the ceramic.
    Got to be better than stacking. Look at the BGE three level extender. It works great execpt it is hard to get to things on lower two levels. If I understand it right you could swap top for bottom if unevan cooking occured.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Sandbagger,
    The BGE triple is 3.5" on the lower and 4" on the second level. When I first got it I experimented with 2 racks of spares on each level, didn't see much difference in any of them. They were all done at the same time and cooked the same. -RP

• Sandbagger,[p]Me too, I want one.
    You know, my wife is going to be very upset with you when I tell her that you made me go out and buy a new welder.[p]What you have looks fine. Only thing I'd do is stagger the ribs as much as possible. Might help the smoke circulate around the ribs better.[p]
    .*****..*****…..
    …..*****..*****.

• 121_2147.jpg
    <p />Haggis, Here is the indirect piece: four half size, fire bricks trimmed to sit inside the fire ring. Just add the drip pan on the fire bricks. [p]I do it this way so the rib ends don't burn and to force the heat up the two open sides of the egg. I set the bricks in the fire ring to gain as much space as possible between the bricks (indirect piece) and food; so there is the greatest space to circulate the heat. [p]I don't know if this is right or wrong. I just know each time a cook multiple racks of ribs with one grid, it is a real pain. That’s why I am experimenting. T

• AZRP, thanks for the insight. I am trying to get it done above the felt rim, so handling is much eaiser..T

• Sandbagger,
    With the plate setter in place and the size of drip pan I use. The setup you have would be at felt ring. You need someone to test that with 6 slabs of babybacks. Send this way.[p]GO CATS![p]Mike

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    d9b2bbdc.jpg
    <p />Hey Tom, 1c947bcf.gif[p]
    Have you been looking in my sketch book?? Or are you telepathic? LOL Looks like you beat me on getting the prototype put together! Here is the background infomation I'm using:[p]The picture above is a picture of the grate rack from a Big Chief smoker, which was my inspiration. It has sliding grates and a sliding drip pan. The dimensions of the grates are 16-1/2 X 10-1/4 and the distance between them is 3-3/4. (Just like your new design) I usually load up 4 of the five grates and the circulation of smoke and heat is no problem.[p]Playing around with the rings & grate extender on my large Egg, proves that there is a 10 to 12 inch sweet spot for cooking. I'm thinking that is enough room for a "short stack triple" grate to cook 6 racks of ribs in the flat position. [p]But for now, this one still works for 5 racks.[p]e785affc.jpg[p]~thirdeye~ [p][p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    I'm not a rib expert but I would guess you could get pretty close. This is based of the pictures taken of a bunch of ribs on a single grid.[p]Best way is to just try it.[p]Great idea on the slide out's.[p]Toy Man
  • thirdeye, that welder guy is cool, made my day. The wife doesn't even bother me anymore when I'm welding in the garage. For the longest time, I'd get one of those (how much stuff can you weld for that egg) looks.....LOL

I hear ya on the vertical spacing. I figure the third (bottom) level is the simple one, space 1.5 on the adjustable grid. It sure would be nice if you could get all three levels above the felt line. I just foiled the ribs and honestly, it was the easiest it's ever been.[p]You have any idea what the average width is on a St. Louis rack? I wonder if you could get two, side-by-side in 12.5 inches of space. [p]I don’t' know if it is the cooking method or me opening the dome a lot, but the cook is taking longer than expected....[p]You got a sketch book. If I had one, it would be all stick men…. [p]Tom[p][p]

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Sandbagger,
    I just made this to go on Chubby's ring. 12" tile cut to 9" and then lopped off the corners. It's grade 4 commercial so it should hold up. Think it will work OK?

smallplatesetter002.jpg[p]
    smallplatesetter001.jpg[p]

• thirdeye
    2153d794.jpg
    <p />Sandbagger,[p]Well I can buy slabs of spares 6 to 8 inches wide so after I trim them to St.Louis, I guess they would be between 5 and 6 inches. My Safeway has St. Louis cut that are 4 inches wide.[p]They aren't the greatest but I have to sketch by hand...I get frustrated with computer sketching. 96a264ab.gif[p]~thirdeye~[p]PS e-mail headed your way.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Sandbagger,[p]I am certainly no rib expert but I have used Old Dave's version in which the 2nd grid is below the top. It has 3 levels going down into the egg with the bottom level holding an 11" drip pan. I found it worked well as I rotated the ribs about 1/2 way through. I think Dave went in this direction because as you build up into the lib it is hotter....but that is an assumption[p]Howard
  • 126_2654.jpg
    <p /> I'm pleased with the cook and end result. We could not tell any noticeable difference between racks. I do believe the method needs more testing, maybe....a lot more testing....LOL. [p]I did one thing different in that time was short. In the foil stage, I jumped the temp to 300 hoping to make up for lost cooking time: I constantly opened the dome during the smoke stage to check on things. [p]Here they are right off the egg. I think we all know why the front rack is missing a couple bones! Thanks for all the positive suggestions. Tom

• thirdeye
    Sandbagger,[p]Those turned out great![p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Sandbagger,
    Now that is something that would be pretty cool. You direct with that? I am having visions of mass ribs laying flat now.....

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!