Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

story

Options
hounddog
hounddog Posts: 126
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I likes my eggs runny, and I can't get them at very many places anymore.[p]And I like my meat rare, and I can't get that everywhere anymore.[p]And I like to drive a stick shift, and it's hard to find those these days.[p]So.... All of these things my wife hates.[p]We have a 16 month old. He and I have been sort of working with each other on the side on what he likes to eat. Anyway, the other day, I made hamburgers for everyone and two funny things happened.[p]First was, my wife looked at me and said "that's too much food". I had bought about a pound and a half of ground chuck, and I was using it to form 4 burgers. I looked at her and said, well, you forget about James.[p]She said, he won't eat very much! His attention span and his tummy usually only last for two or three bites....[p]So, I went out and cooked burgers. The two smallest I set aside, the big ones I brought in for the two of us. I realized I had left wife's a little too rare. So, it was back to the egg for that one. [p]She then looks at the child's burger, which he has ripped open and is laying into with both hands, none hitting the floor. She then looks at me and says "You have been working with him like you did with eggs, huh."[p]
I told her I had no idea what she was talking about. [p]There were no leftovers. Anyway, I got some time before he has to learn how to drive. Hope they still make stick shifts then.[p]Here's to careful food handling, and fun with the family around the grill.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    hounddog, you married my wiffy's re-incarnated twin..:-)
    Congratulations on the little guy...They are fun and your bringing him up right. Keep his burgers a tad on the well done side tho..or grind your own burger meats as per MikeO's excellent burger suggestions. Then you know from whence the meat comes from.
    Cheers..loved the post..
    C

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    hounddog,[p]I'm finding wives can be that way! Only being married a month, I now find out "she doesn't like meat that much"! I did tell her "well, that just leaves more for me". I have a feeling I will be eating my words (in more way than one)![p]Smokey
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    hounddog,[p]Great story, you have a boy about as old as my daughter, my son is 4 in May. I made burgers the other night, had some cut up onions and green peppers, minced garlic, ketchup, worst.... sauce etc. Mixed it all together and made patties. The wife looked at them and asked if I left any plain for the kids, I said I didnt think I'd need to. She chastized me a little bit but I told her if they didnt eat them that I'd pick out "all that stuff" so they would. I never touched their plates and they each had a whole burger. To top it off for my wife, my son bragged to her about how he ate his vegetables and "didnt even whine". We both got a good belly laugh out of that one. My wife even commented on the burgers though, they were great.[p]Great story and enjoy the kids and thanks for sharing. I figure this summer my son will be just about tall enough to reach the lawn mower handle........[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Smokey, Been married 12 years now, and my wife also does not like meat very much. The sad thing is in the past year and a half that I have been Qing, she likes it even less. A combination of not liking meat in the first place, and her being married to an addict that must cook over charcoal several times per week. [p]One of the twins really loves meat...especially ribs. She is the one who will join me for the cooks when she gets a bit older!! Daddy and Kara goin outside to cook. Mommy and Jenna inside snapping green beans, and prepping the veggies. [p]I do find that I eat less meat because of it. Which is probably a good thing. Cuz I love my meat.
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ