Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh water Fish on the BGE?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While I'm at it, does anyone have a receipe for doing Crappie or Cat Fish on the BGE? It's Lent and Fridays are meatless for us Mackeral Snappers!!!!

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Daddy,[p]I've done quite a bit of fish on the egg, mainly saltwater varieties but the one catfish technique I've done is wonderful. Its an adaptation of blackening fish that works great on the egg. I used little fiddler catfish mainlyh but I would think that a little larger catfish would work well also. I have a fish cooking pan that i use, a coated pan that fits on the egg that has holes drilled through it. Veggie pan, fish pan, its all a matter of how you look at it. Heres what I did.[p]Get the fire good and hot, about 400-500 degrees. The fiddler catfish were just cleaned (skinned and headed and gutted), still have all the bones in. I have a big bowl of melted butter to dredge the fish and then sprinkle them with some blackening seasoning to taste, Paul Prudholm has a good recipe or there are premixed bottles in the grocery. Get a few of these ready as they take NO time on the grill and you have to work quickly. Throw them on the grill quickly, close the lid. Let them cook for a minute or so, then turn them and cook another minute or so. The timing here may vary a bit, you're just looking for the fish to turn opaque. They cook quickly at these temps. Larger fillets would take a bit more time. Take them off the grill and put them all on a plate. Then, and this is the cool part, take a spatula and holding onto the tail of the fish, run the blade of the spatula down the backbone of the fish, tail to head, and voila, you have a PERFECT little blackened fiddler fillet. COOL. and DELICIOUS. I've used this technique on whole cleaned fish up to about a pound or so, after that I'd recommend filleting them, just my taste though.[p]Hope this helps and good luck.[p]Troy
  • BearFan
    BearFan Posts: 28
    Options
    sprinter, Great post! I'll be trying fish soon.....Ed