Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leaving cooker outdoors

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It is alright to leave the cooker outdoors all year? Will it get water in it in the winter and freeze and bust?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Tammy Eby, Here are my thoughts..With a ceramic top, there is little danger of water entry and breakage. We have used these in all sorts of weather. Most folks do use a garage or storage shed for winter protection. [p]I use every sort of gimmic cover for mine from Weber covers to firepit covers. [p]I would personally from a investment point of view, give my BGE all the coverage it can stand..:-) [p]I left my BGE with ceramic cover unprotected this winter, and I have noticed in doing that, that I have moisture accumulations in the dome ceramics. This shows up with moisture beading and actual steam rising from the dome during the next heating of the ceramics.
    Also much more problems with the dome freezing shut. This can happen anyway depending on the moisture type cook ie: jerky..a high moisture extraction cook. Best to do a high temp burn off when that is the case. [p]So my best advice is..yes, by all means, cover your BGE.[p]Cheers to ya...C~W[p]

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    For a Kid you give pretty good advice. I know you will do better when you mature and gain life's experience. hehe

• Char-Woody
    Options
    JJ, I try my friend, and your pretty good to for a old duckie...heee.. A 4 lb. Chicken tonight..so far so good!
    Hey, this Small Egg is a "faster reactor". A bit more sensitive on the air intake throttle.
    Wish I had a camera....:-)
    C~W[p]

• JJ
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Tonight is a 2.5" rib eye on the mini. Been marinating in Moores Sauce for about 3 hrs now. Taters have been on the mini for about 1.5 hrs and starting to look good. I like the samll and the mini. They sure fill a grat void when the large is too big. Be a good boy and just maybe Santa will surprise you. hehe

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    Tammy Eby,[p]My friend Char-Woody gave you excellent advice. Here in Minnesota, in sleet, snow, and frigid cold (-20 F), the BGE can take all of that without trouble. However, there is one danger, the felt vacuum strips if wet, will freeze together, and you won't be able to open the dome without considerable effort. To preclude this, I have found that taking a very thin metal yardstick or a shorter piece of metal about the same thickness, and with the Dome opened, lay the thin metal strip across the bottom felt liner and then close the lid. Don't do this though, until after the fire has gone out completely, or else it might re-ignite. That should prevent any "freezeing" or binding together of the top and bottom strips.[p]Good luck to you....[p]Anthony

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Anthony Up North, and from you my friend, that's also dang good advice. Like you say..make sure the fire is out.[p]There was a post by KennyG several years ago where he had a re-ignition quite some time after he had shut down his bge. There was still a remenant hot spot some where in the coals. He had opened top and bottom vents and when he came back some time later to light up, his BGE was already going.
    Cheer's to ya..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    JJ, Haaaaa!! He is due this week and we have plenty of ice for him to skate on..about 2 foot thick all around the area. Nearly pure ice. Come home sweet Mini...!! :-)
    C~W[p]

• JJ
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Who is this KennyG. Some wannabe newbie?

• Char-Woody
    Options
    JJ, by the looks of his deck, you might be right!!! He really needs to tidy up that place!! heeeee, with a yaaaaaaa. on the end...:-)
    C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    snowegg.jpg
    <p />Tammy Eby,[p]It always better to keep a ceramic mass in a dry area, but sometimes it just has to live outside. Both of mine live on the deck and see all kinds of weather. Always keep the rain cap on when not in use so water doesn't get into the insides and you will be fine. The daisy tops leak rain water so replace them with the rain cap after cooking to keep the insides and the unused lump dry.[p]Welcome and enjoy![p]Tim
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I remember that post quite well and appreciate the mention but can't take credit. If the lost archives were still available to us, I think you would find that our dear friend W.J. was the author. Great advice none the less.[p]Kennyg

• Char-Woody
    Options
    KennyG, see there, he is still with us in spirit..Bless him and you also..!
    C~W

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    JJ,[p]You're just jealous that I won't share the recipe for my killer 5 hour brisket from yesteryear. hehehehe[p]From the comfort and convenience of my hotel room in Cincinnati.....[p]K~G