Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paper-thin Pork Chops! Suggestions?

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy boys and girls. Got some pork chops in the 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick range--any helpful hints on how to cook them without turning them into ash, but at the same time cook them enough? I like 'em a little on the rare side, the wife less so. I figured on cranking my Large up pretty hot, and doing a 2/2/4, or somethng. Thanks!!

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Big Murth,
    I would brine em...If not brined then use the olive oil treatment as per "springer's" steak method. These are a very fast cook..and only a minute or so per side is sufficient at high temps..Then with shut down mode for about 5 minutes.
    You want a very light hint of pink in the center and if you over cook em, they will be dry with little moisture.[p]If you were to use GFW's cook forumula, it would come out as 1.5 x 1.5 x 5.0..or 1.5-1.5-5.0. [p]Another alternative would be to use a good choice of rubs and oils, and do them as a very low and slow smoke cook taking about 3 hours or so to a finished chop. [p]Good luck..
    C~W

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Big Murth,
    My kids love them. Two nights ago I did a NY
    strip for my wife for approximately 3/3/3 with no
    dwell at 750. During the last 3 minutes I threw a
    pound of super thin pork chops around the steak
    for about 2/2 coated with lawrys lemon pepper.
    They were excellent.[p]Chuck

• Why do I keep doing this typo..its "Sprinter" not Springer..heeeyaa..forgive dis old bum...:-)
    C~W
    And I think Dr. Chicken and Sprinter are co-conspirators in the drowning the meat in oils conspiracy...:-)

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I agree with this thought extra. If he likes his chops a touch rare, I would not dwell that long -- I would do that dwell for wife's portion, but use half or less, even up to no dwell at all for his portion.

• Char-Woody,
    You could lay a chop down,top it with your favorite stuffing, the place another chop on top and skewer them together with some toothpicks and throw them on the egg.[p]Dylan

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Q.N.E tyme, dang..thats a good idea..Stuffed doubles. What's the cook time suggested??
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    hounddog, good suggestion also..The timing is important on the doneness. I do the same with steaks for the wiffy and I ..She likes em bored stiff..I like em still kickin..
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody,
    Well If I was doing them, I'd stuff them with a apple rasin type stuffing and grill them about 400° of so for 6-8 minutes a side, turning every two minutes.. I'd glaze them with a Maple syrup glaze the last minute too.[p]Dylan

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    C~W,[p]Ya got dat right CW, he's as guilty as I am, if not more. Sure makes for good eats though.[p]Troy aka springer
  • sprinter
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]Might think about slow cooking them. I do it with pork steaks all the time. Indirect cook about 225-250 for about 2 2.5 hours (be sure and check them, those times are for a bit thicker pork steaks). I lay on a LOT of cherry smoke and I rub them down with some rub first as well. Baste with sauce if you want, with them being that thin it may keep them nice and moist and really bake the sauce on. Sure works well on pork steaks, cant see any difference with chops. Good luck.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme, your gonna have me truckin to your house any day now..
    That sounds like a winner..Did someone teach you how to cook my friend? I'm still a learner. :-)
    Doing a mystery whole chicken for supper tonight in the Small BGE. Never have cooked a whole bird in there.
    If it's a solid cook, I will post..if not, gonna keep me mouth clammed like a good vegetarian.
    C~W

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    sprinter,
    i used straight cherry on some ribs i cooked today. Man it smells good while burning...and the flavor in the ribs wadn't to shabby either. Cherry. Good.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Big Murth
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I guess it's time to take the plunge, and get those bi-focals or reading glasses after all. Nature Boy, I'm cooking "Chicken Breasts in Bone" with your "Tangy Chicken Thighs" recipe. Got home, and holy smokes, thems weren't no pork chops..nope. Chicken Breasts, though!! Anyway, I can't believe all the posts with help...I'll check in with the results of what should be a great cook. Got two big chunks of mesquite and one of cherry going with the lump 'a burning, and we're about to flip. Gotta go!! And thanks to you and everyone else.
    Blind Big Murth

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Lemme know how they come out! Those breast are picky about being overcooked. Don't go past 170 internal! Hope your dinner was great.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Big Murth
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    You're right...I overamped it on the initial 30 minutes, at a higher than your recommended temp. But...still great and the little lady and the 13 year old galfriend still ate everything with gusto, and compliments. great finishing sauce as per your recipe.
    Still learning this Egg thing, and the trust that goes with following some great recipes I try. Appreciate it. Big Murth in New Mexico.

• sprinter
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]If you can tell from my posts NB, I use a LOT of cherry wood. I'm still burning through a big batch of hardwood cherry that I picked up awhile ago (years I think). I cut it up on the table saw or bandsaw to chunks that vary from 1x1 to 2x2 and 3x3, then a few larger for longer cooks. Heck, even the sawdust gets thrown in at times. Like you say, cherry good. I cant say that I've found anything that I like better on anything. Its a real sweet flavor and not too strong. [p]I acquired some peach wood last year at this time as well as apple and pear, they are prunings from a local fruit farm and they were just burning them. I have a big garbage bag full of each of them that have been drying for a year in the cellar, ready to use them this spring. They are as good as the cherry in my opinion and, heck, the price is unbeatable. This is the second batch I've gotten from them, last year I just picked up a small load of each, this year I loaded up.[p]Troy