Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

7Bone Chuck Roast

Options
AZ Traveler
AZ Traveler Posts: 664
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need advice to see if I can cook a 7 Bone Chuck Roast on the egg. Can you cook it without putting it in a pot? Thanks for any input. AZ

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    AZ Traveler,
    i have never done one on the egg i have always made my pot roast out of them (ala alton brown) but i am anxious to see how its done keep me updated
    thanks
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    AZ Traveler,[p]I kind of doubt that you could cook it without a pot, at least without basting it low-n-slow for many many many hours. I've been working at doing several different chuck roasts, tho' not any 7Bone, trying to get to pulled beef. The best I've done was recently, 3.5 lbs blade chuck, marinated for about a day. 3.5 hrs, indirect, basting every 1/2 hr. after 2, followed by double foil pouch with liquid for another 2.5, and a half hour rest. Though very tender and moist, still was not pullable. Next time I try, I'm going to finish it in a Dutch oven for at least 3 hrs.[p]gdenby

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    gdenby,
    Thank you for your input. I will try and work it out with the suggestions you have given me. Thanks again. AZ

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    BENTE,[p]Will let you know how I work it out. Enjoy. AZ
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    AZ Traveler,
    I've used this link for a chuck clod. We don't have clod available but it works great for a pulled beef

[ul][li]Chuck Clod[/ul]
  • AZ Traveler,[p]There was a recent thread for a Brined Rump Roast that looked pretty good.[p]I’ve cooked Chuck Roast in a pressure cooker or a crock pot, but never in a smoker. But:[p]If you have a copy of “Smoke & Spice” by Cheryl and Bill Jamison, take a look at “Pit Pot Roast” on p. 128.[p]Abbreviated, for a 3 pound boneless chuck roast they say:
    Rub and refrigerate over night.
    Cook indirect, 200* to 220* for 4 hours.
    Wrap in aluminum foil with Ro-Tel tomatoes, 1/4 cup mop, and beef stock or beer.
    Cook an additional 3 hours “until the meat is falling-apart tender.”

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    grs,
    That sounds pretty good and interesting and being that I'm a new egger that doesn't know better I am going to give this a shot. I'm sure I won't be the first or last to try it but being an egger is an adventure. Hope to post pictures and results tomorrow afternoon. Thanks, AZ

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    Michael B,[p]I don't have that book but it sounds good. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks, AZ
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    AZ Traveler,
    You people make me jealous. I am gone from home for 12 hours a day pushing this desk around and can only have time to cook (and learn) on the weekends. Deciding at 04:00 to try something today can never happen. I have had my egg almost 6 months now and have learned a lot in the time I have had but this just aint fair.
    Tom

• AZ Traveler,[p]Rub:
    3/4 cup paprika
    1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup Kosher or sea salt
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons cayenne[p]3-pound boneless chuck roast
    3 to 4 garlic cloves, slivered
    1 to 2 pickled jalapenos, slivered[p]mop:
    16 ounces beer
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons pickling liquid from jar of pickled jalapenos[p]Aslo:
    10-ounce can Ro-Tel tomatoes with green chilies
    1/4 cup beef stock or beer[p]Instructions (paraphrased, a lot).
    insert garlic cloves and pickled jalapenos into roast
    cover with rub, put in a plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
    remove from refrigerator and let sit 45 minutes.
    cook indirect, 4 hours, at 200* to 220*.
    Wrap in aluminum foil with Ro-Tel tomatoes, 1/4 cup mop, and beef stock or beer.
    Cook an additional 3 hours “until the meat is falling-apart tender.” [p]
    Get the book.

• More,[p]That is 200* to 220* at the grate, not the dome.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    AZ Traveler,
    Pulled beef sandwiches, I love'em. Check out submitted recipes above, go to beef, go to Clay's Pulled Beef BBQ. Also, same recipe with pic's at dizzypigbbq.com, go to customer recipes, click Clay's Pulled Beef. Got a Dutch oven or big pot? You can use heavy duty aluminum pan with foil in a pinch.
    Good luck!
    Clay

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    AZ Traveler,
    I do believe you can do it like a pork shoulder low and slow for pulled beef.

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]I had seen your recipe at DP before but didn't think about it other than it made my mouth water. Very good indeed. I hope to become that good some day. I'm still amazed at the talent on this forum. Thanks. AZ
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Rusty Rooster,
    Spring for a BBQ Guru and use on ramp mode. I put on a lot of things before I go to work and in ramp mode it stays at finished temp till I'm home. I love my guru. Richard

[ul][li]BBQ guru[/ul]
  • AZ Traveler
    Options
    grs,[p]That was the first extra I bought for my egg. I love it. Used it for pull pork. I think you are right about using it for this cook. Thanks, AZ
  • bugz on da barbe
    Options
    nope, never did one just in the egg. i just did a 7bone on sunday. it went from the fridge to the table via my large egg in about 5.5 hrs. all in a dutch oven.. it was a 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!! will definatley do it again, ken ps. the left overs are even better!!!!!!!!!!!!