Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled the trigger on a BGE.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Thanks to all the input here I’m now the proud owner of a BGE. Took a few hours off work yesterday and picked up a large with all the fixings. Two stops later I was loaded for bear with ribeye’s, game hens, asparagus and frozen bread dough. Two hours later my egg was in its nest and ready to light. Fired away and watched with wonder… what a machine. Temp control is amazing! Took it immediately to 700*, let it settle and seared the beef ala T Rex (I’m a quick study), made some adjustments and down to 400* to cook my split hens, a while later back go on the ribeye’s to finish. Timed it all pretty well and pulled everything and threw on olive oil coated asparagus for a quick sear. My bread was late for the party but ready so I put it on last. The kids liked it the most? Can’t say I nailed everything 100% (I’m a bit of a perfectionist) but that was one fine dinner and a lot of fun. Really looking forward to getting to know my egg better. One problem though… what do I do with my off set smoker, Weber kettle and Ducane gasser???

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    1/2 Chicken,
    Keep 'em close by. They are excellent storage units for BGE accessories.[p]You are well on your way to total happiness.[p]Spring "Smiling All The Way To The Egg" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    IMG_0602.jpg
    <p />1/2 Chicken,
    Welcome to the BGE world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As for your question I kicked my Ducane's sorry butt to the curb!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP,[p]Funny picture. That one looks EXACLY like mine. Honestly haven’t used it in years… think I'll donate it to a friend.

• 1/2 Chicken,
    > what do I do with my off set smoker, Weber kettle[p]Keep them, at least for a while.[p]> and Ducane gasser???[p]Um,... no comment.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    locker.jpg
    <p />1/2 Chicken,
    This is what I use my gasser for. -RP

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    1/2 Chicken,[p] Do your friend a favor and donate it to a stranger or better yet someone you don't like.[p] :D
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    1/2 Chicken,[p]Congrats. You really did jump right in, and appear to have got it all right! After six months, I finally got around to doing a loaf of bread last night, which is the first time I've ever baked anything bigger than some rolls in the oven. And, woo-hoo, the loaf came out just fine.[p]I keep my old Brinkman smoker around in case I need to keep stuff warm while I'm doing other things on the Egg.[p]gdenby

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Are you cooking that stuff direct?[p]LOL - I love it![p]TRex
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    1/2 Chicken,[p]That may be one of the most impressive first nights of cooking I've ever read about - wow. Welcome to the club indeed![p]TRex
  • TRex,[p]Thanks T... I figured if I was going to fire the thing I might as well go all out. Going to test Max's turkey this weekend. This forum is nearly as cool as the cooker.

• 1/2 Chicken,[p]Jumped right in. Way to go. No better way to get aquainted with your egg than to use it. Like gdnby, six months later I'm just thinking about doing bread. And will make attempt at pulled pork soon. Happy cooking!!!![p]P.S. Have an older brinkman electric water smoker in shed that is a haven for spiders. I'm sure the mice make it a nice home in winter. Hardly used it because to hard to control temps. I still use my Weber gasser for roasted potates and veggies when there's no room on the egg.
  • JD
    JD Posts: 30
    Options
    AZRP, Thats too funny!!!! Thats what my gasser looks like right now. I am having a stainless steel table built right now for my two larges. I cant wait to post a picture of it.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    1/2 Chicken,
    Glad you didn't mess around and tried something simple! Congrats... it's all downhill from here.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Good Eats
    Options
    1/2 Chicken,[p]Welcome to the cult, I mean uh Club... now shut up and drink this Kool Aid... Soon we'll show you the secret handshake. WELCOME ABOARD!
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    1/2 Chicken,
    dude... i know the feeling![p]keep the others to use as warmers for the products coming out of the egg! my old brinkman water smoker (bws) sits next to my trash cans and watches martha, my egg. bws is sad, very sad![p]next time, try smoking those game hens...[p]i always bake a loaf of bread after i cook the meat... there's always plenty of heat left in the lump for 23 minutes at 400. first i was doing savory seasonings on the bread, but now i've gone toatlly sweet with sugar and cinnamon. the next morning, it's toast![p]

• bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Options
    Heya Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Well, when I sold my last house, the buyers wanted me to throw in my Weber smoker.........so I did! Many good cooks on that old feller' Then ....I afforded myself me Egg :)[p]
    Regards,[p]thediva

• bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Options
    Heya Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]And...my Weber was a "he" and my Egg is a "she"....go figure :P She's great![p]