Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sprinters Calzone.....

Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Call me Al Calzone..."I make ya a offer ya cannot refuse"! I reprinted Springers submitted recipe so you could find it easier.
Its in the "newly submitted" recipe catagory.[p]Do I recommend it?? You betcha!![p]Except for a few minute (minimal) changes it went as posted. I am stuffed.
Sprinter..watch for e.mail..!! And thanks..
C~W[p][p]Calzone
Submitted by: sprinter troy@cmacsoft.com [p]

This is a great calzone. There are a myriad of fillings that can be used but this is one of the favorites of my family.
Ingredients:
• 1 Tbs olive oil • ½ Cup grated parmesan or romano cheese
• ½ Cup chopped onion • 2 tsp chopped fresh sage - if you use dried, use ¾ teaspoon
• ½ Cup chopped green pepper • ½ tsp black pepper
• 1 recipe of the calzone/pizza dough • 1 lb italian sausage
• 1 Cup ricotta cheese - this is important as it acts as a binder for the filling • 1 large egg
• 1 Cup cubed or shreaded mozzarella cheese [p]
Preparation Directions:
• heat the oil in a skillet and brown the sausage - set aside
• in the same pan, saute onion and pepper for 5 minutes
• press the dough out into a 12 inch circle, dough recipe makes 2
• combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl, add veggies and meat
• mix well
• place ½ of the filling on ½ of the calzone, fold dough over to make a half circle, seal the edges well
• repeat for the other calzone
• using a fork, make several holes in the calzone [p]Cooking Directions:
• preheat the egg, using an indirect setup, to 450 to 500 degree dome temperature
• place calzone on the pizza stone and cook until golden brown, usually 15-20 minutes
• watch through the chimney for doneness [p]Special Instructions:
• be sure not to allow any of the calzone to hang over the edge of the stone as the crust will burn at these high temperatures [p]

[p]Return to Index

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Char-Woody,[p]Thanks CW, glad you enjoyed it. We generally do one of those a week, a real crowd pleaser at our place too. Thanks again.[p]Just grilled burgers here last night. It was terribly rainy and sleety, kinda "snain" if you know what I mean. I've been battling the flu for a couple of days and was just not up to much so I mixed up some burgers with ketchup, minced garlic, minced onion and green pepper, a little worst... sauce, salt and pepper, and made patties. I put on some McKormick Seasoning and grilled them till done at about 375. Pretty simple but good eats.[p]Glad you liked the calzones.
    Troy

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    sprinter, I'm having em again tonight..other half of the mix. Check your e.mail for some ideas.
    C~W[p]