Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

steady eggy, where did you go?

tinman
tinman Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
the last couple of weeks, my large has had a mind of its own. been cooking over two years and can go to sleep after setting for a low and slow. I have replaced the gasket, and cleaned the egg to almost new on the inside. I get the egg to 350, slide draft door to 1/8, adjust top to 1/8 and temp starts to fall until out. when I leave the door open to 1/2, the temp continues to climb. I use wicked good charcoal and have for over a year.[p]as everyone, lots of cooking to do and want to not be attached to the egg for the entire cook![p]any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    tinman,
    Are you using a starter cube to start the fire? -RP

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    tinman,
    i know with the comp blend my bottom draft needs to be open a lot more than with other lump making it more susceptible to wind. are you bringing it up to 350 and then dropping down for a low and slow, if thats what your doing you might just have too many pieces lit and a breeze would effect it even more. if i light with the weed burner for an overnight, the xtra lit pieces will cause this fluctuation, so now i just use a strter log piece in the center for those overnights.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    tinman, I assume by 1/2 and 1/8 you mean 1/2 of the way open (about 2"). Well, 1/8 on the top is a bit closed for my tastes for 350. I leave the petal portion of the daisy slide top completely open and the bottom about 1/2". (close to your 1/8)

• tinman,[p]When you did the slean out, did you remove the firebox?
  • tinman
    Michael B,
    yes. first time in 2 years!

• tinman
    Wise One,
    worth a shot, got chicken to do for tonight.

• tinman
    fishlessman,
    hmmm, weed burner? I use map gas. I like your suggestion. I'll try a fire starter, but usually takes two to get wicked good going. [p]I don't go high and then drop it down. I try to coast up to the temperture. so when the temp gets with in 25 degrees, I start trimming the vents and adjust to correct temp.

• tinman
    AZRP,
    map gas.[p]odd thing is the recent change. I've been doing this for a year. maybe I'm not holding my mouth right?

• tinman,
    Okay, you’ve been using your Egg for two years or more, so I’ll assume you know how it goes together, fire box opening lined up with the damper opening, and all. You also mentioned changing the gasket.
    I have to agree with Wise One, closing the daisy that much is too much.
    How long has your gasket needed changing? Is it possible that you’ve needed to close the top that far to compensate for a leaky gasket, and now that the Egg is tight again you are snuffing the fire?

• tinman
    Michael B,
    I can buy that. I knew I could find help today....