Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Polder gone berzerk.

Options
Carolina Wizard
Carolina Wizard Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finishing up a beautiful 7 pound brisket yesterday, with a small slab of baby back ribs, I wanted to check the final temp of my brisket and plugged up the polder. The temps jumped to 210 then jumped to 185 then to 95 then read COLD or something to the same effect. I thought the battery was weak so I changed it to a new one. Same thing happened. Any suggestions. [p]Good news however! The brisket couldn't have been better, ribs too! Had part last night, saving the rest for the Titan bowl.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Carolina Wizard,
    I have had that problem and it has been both a weak battery and a bad probe. I tried 3 batteries once and got that crazy reading and then I bought fresh batts and its been fine. I had a probe go bad and it would read hot then 30 then low as I wiggled the cable. Mine have gone bad in the cable near the solid metal part. Call Polder and order 3!! They are $5 ea.
    Polder Thermometers DENISE at ext 245
    800-431-2133[p]
    Tim

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    UNNATURAL.GIF
    <p />Carolina Wizard, I know they were made for this too,, but it looks so un-natural. I had to use mine like this yesterday and I still feel uneasy.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Carolina Wizard, Tim gave you good advice.[p]I have two Polders, one a factory the other a Radio Shack. The Factory Polder is over 16 months of use and the RS one is about 1 year. Neither has given a problem yet. One thing to remember, never clean the cable or the entry end of the cable to the probe. If you get moisture in there, its tabooo...I always insert the sensor tip to the curve is downhill.
    I may just be superstitious, :-)[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    King-O-Coals, Fake, Booooo....disgusting photo...No blue sky, snow, beaches, decks, smoke, sand, blondes, hot coals, long handled tools, beer, rum, ....ho hum...heeeee.
    C~W[p]

• Rev Jim
    Options
    Carolina Wizard,
    I have had two polders do the same thing, and in both cases it was the probe cable. I had allowed the cable to get caught in the lid hinge and it had partially severed the cable.[p]I need to order some new cables for the next time I do the same stupid thing . . .[p]
    Rev. Jim

• Carolina Wizard,[p]My Polder began endlessly sounding the temperature alarm even while it was disconnected from the probe. I had used it the day before in a very light drizzle. I took out the batteries and left it to dry over the heater vent overnight. It has worked well ever since.