Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New type of Forumn??

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if there was any concensus on updateing the STYLE of forum that is being used. Any ideas??[p]Here is an example of one I think might be more useful and easier to use/post. Copy and paste.[p]http://www.georgialeo.com/phpBB2/index.php[p]and/or[p]http://www.scandekalb.com/modules.php?name=Forums

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Daver,
    check out this. Still Beta

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.net[/ul]
  • MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Daver,
    I say LEAVE IT AS IT IS
    Thanks
    Howard In Bartow

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Daver,[p]The consensus is that we like this the way it is.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Daver, it's really amazing how many people come lurk on the forum for a few weeks and have the suggestion that we should upgrade the forum. However, after a few years they all agree. Leave it alone. It's not broken.

• Daver,[p]People get used to things. This format is simple and good enough for most people reading it. My feeling - don't fix it if it ain't broken!
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    grs, Good answer! I like it over here personally. Seems like everyone is always in a hurry to do things faster. That's why I like BBQ!!

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Daver,
    "Here is an example of one I think might be more useful and easier to use/post".......Key word in that whole statement being "I" ...we like this forum/chat room the way it is...I see no need to change...This is more of an ongoing chat/talk than it is a research site...most that use this board read it regularly and dont just drop in an expect to do a search and head off again...kinda like the family sitting down for dinner.....Good friends, and good food, and good times[p]Wess[p]Wess

• Richard
    WessB,
    I use .com site to post and mostly read. If I want to follow a thread or serch I use Biggreenegg.net

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    grs,
    why? you can follow a tread the same way here. Personally I bookmark the last 25 and also this "all"

[ul][li]here[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Daver,
    I especially like that on the first of your suggestions
    there are 17 users who have posted 16 messages. And most
    of the categories are 0 topics and 0 posts.
    It may be pretty, but if folks don't use it...
    HS

• Lurk or not. If those who lurk on here find it difficult to follow a post because the numbers/letters all blend in and a particular topic is repeated numerous times, it is not functioning as smoothly as it COULD.[p]I like the newer website. I bet it will be more user friendly. Cheers.[p]Daver
  • Did you just compare the internet to BBQ? Ohhhhhh.........kkkk. lol[p]
    Daver

• Daver,[p]If it ain't broke don't fix it.[p]Some newbies.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    RRP,
    I like this forum the way it is right now! Thats my two cents worth. [p]Best Regards, Pharmeggist

• drbbq,[p]what the good doc said....
  • Daver,
    About cooking on the egg, is there a recipe in there anywhere?[p]

• Daver,
    Good on ya, mate. Go ahead and use the new one. I like this forum better than the new.

• there are a few things I like about the "newer forum" (phpbb for example) are:
    - better searches. There are too many times when I search for something, and get broken links
    - picture attachments/uploads. It's easy to post multiple pictures in a post. No need to mess with photobucket or the tags that so many people have difficult times with
    - private messages. No need to "ping" the person you need and hope they see your topic. Everyone can have their own private inbox
    - unique profile. No more complains about other people post with your favorite nick name[p]my two cents
    waruwaru

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    Daver,
    i could never work in a cubical and thats what those forums remind me of. this forum is responsive to quick questions, nice and informal, and has a member group that is very into bbq and food in general and are very helpful for any type of cook. i would be lost in one of those box style forums, they seem very limiting to me, they remind me of state registries that put me in this line, then that one, and at the end of the day i have nothing accomplished.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Daver,
    I used to be in the need another form camp. I've since come to the conclusion that a new forum type with multiple subforums and the inevitable off top forum would ruin this forum for some......here is why. Politics and Religion would be discussed and some folks can't separate them from everything else. [p]This forum with its bbq content unites us all. We have one thing in common and don't let other stuff separate us and cause riffs....other than chuncks vs chips, gasket types, lump preferences, etc etc etc.

• Daver,[p]I really like the phpbb format. I think it allows for much better, longer, discussions on particular topics. No matter what the case BGE need to decide what to do and settle on just one forum. I wallowed around on the other forum not being able to get any answers about anything. I was beginning to thing that the BGE forum was just a bunch of snobs that had been here for years and didn't want any new members, that they just stuck with themselves. Then I emailed Spring Chicken and found out that the forums don't cross post!!!!! OH MY!!!! What a difference that made. I was very glad that my fears were unfounded, buy how many people were like me in that they didn't get any help, but unlike me they just gave up? I really think that ONE forum is going to be essential for growth. We do want more people to join our Egger ranks don't we?

• Richard
    FSUScotsman, I regulary go to .net to look for such people.fond two this morning and directed them hrer. you make a good point.

• grs,[p]I would just hate to see us lose potentially good forum users and BGE ambassadors because they got unintentionally ignored. You do good work!!

• Richard
    FSUScotsman,
    Thet should make it post ways. If you read the post yesterday everyone seems not to want to change. If they made it post both ways it would solve all problems. .net does have some advantages. I use both but only post.com