Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mustard/rib recipe from bge video

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
thanks to all for advice...after watching video from bge my family asked for me to make the big guy's mustard rib recipe and how in the world he skins the ribs so easily..i know he uses a tool that looks like catfish skinners but not sure...i'm looking forward to exchanging recipes with you guys and one of my favorite sites is topsecret recipes.com /soar.com/ and one called kopykat.com...any resturant recipe you need,they have...my kids watched the video,and are interested now with bbq competions with the neighbors..thanks again..john

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    JOHN B/ST.CLAIR,[p]Rib Skinnin:[p]Removing the membrane is quite easy once you develop the touch.
    I don't use the skinners. Other probably do and have their own technique. I simply use a paper towel and finding a corner piece of membrane, dig at the corner using the towel for added friction. Soon a piecd of membrane will come up and while pulling on the membrane, I slide my thumb or finger from my other hand under and help slip the membrane loose. Once you have a full end edge loosened, you can usually quickly rip the rest right off.
    Takes a bit of practice. Best done when the rib is fresh and limber..
    I remove, season and vacuum seal all that I don't use right away..Freshly bought and seasoned is the best.
    Cheers..
    C~W
    BTW....change up on the paper towel frequently or they get slippery.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    membran2.jpg
    <p />JOHN B/ST.CLAIR,[p]Yep, no special tools needed. I start at the small end and use small pieces of paper towel to grip the membrane and "zipppp" it off like Woody said.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim M's[/ul]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Tim M ,
    I love that picture,i have only been able to remove the membrane in one piece a couple of times.[p]Larry

• Tim M
    YB,[p]I get the ribs in the CyroVac wrapper (3 racks) and they almost always pull easy. I buy them, bring them home and open the 3 pack and remove the membranes then. Then I wrap each rack if not cooking them at that time. When I need a rack, I don't need to remove the membrane and I can even start the ribs somewhat frozen if I need to (for time reasons only).[p]Tim
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Tim M,
    Are yours like the ones at Sam's .[p]Larry

• Tim M
    YB,[p]Yes. I get them from BJ's which is like Sams. They also have them in the super markets too. [p]Tim
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Tim M ,
    You are a good student. Charwoody taught you well. You need to thank your teacher.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    JJ, Thanks,
    I remember back several years when we first had the membrane challenge, and we had it down to a science.. Pulled membranes one every 5 to 8 seconds per loinback rib. Almost made a "fest" contest out of it..KennyG's was "eggin" us on..heeeeeyaaaaa, (in place of heeeee).
    Only thing better than pulling rib membranes, is rubbin em ribs down with JJ's rubs and eatin those dang things. Cat's too!!
    C~W[p]

• JOHN B/ST.CLAIR,
    I think starting in the middle and working the end of a butter knife or your fingers under the membrane and then use your fingers to go both ways. Works really easy on Baby back ribs and pretty good on spares. As mentioned, use a paper towel to get a better grip on the little pieces that do not come off.
    Try it and see,[p]Wille B

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    JOHN B/ST.CLAIR,[p]The link for the recipe is below.[p]Z