Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am growing impatient with this butt...

GriffinGaDawg
GriffinGaDawg Posts: 332
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
been on 15 hours now and the temp is only at 165. Has only climbed 21* since about 3am.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    GriffinGaDawg,
    well i am sorry to hear you are having problems! i know that when your food is getting close to your dome temp it slows down it sounds like to me your probe might not be calibrated. but if i were you i would go ahead and open some air into there and get your temp up. but if you dont listen to me i understand i have not had a problem with them proabably because i cook mine at a higher temp. but thats just because i dont have a guru and dont want to awaken to a unlit egg
    good luck!!
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    GriffinGaDawg,[p]You can't get impatient this is part of the process. What temp are you running? How much meat are you cooking? Weights? If you want kick her up to 300 and finish her off. I usually cook 2 large butts @ 225 grid and it will take 14 - 16 hours, but they have gone 18 hours. Relax, have a beer, she will get done.
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    GriffinGaDawg,
    Relax, every but is different. You are going through a plateau. Don't raise temp. It will get there. It is not uncommon to go 18 -20 hours at 225. I've gone 24 hour. That is a little uncommon.

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    GriffinGaDawg,[p]As a followup, I plan a 3 hour cooler rest before serving. If I heat the cooler the meat will still be above 165 after 5 hours and I have pulled them @ 30 minutes. I like them best at 4 hours of rest. I take a cooler, fill it with hot water and put some towels in the dryer. I pull the butts, double wrap in HD foil the take a hot towel and wrap the butt dump the hot water from the cooler, put a hot towel in the bottom, then the butt, then towels almost to the top, then a section of newspaper, and close her up.
  • Why1504...[p]I am trying to stay around 250 dome temp. this morn when I got up, it had creaped down to 220 dome temp.[p]Cooking 6.5lb butt. Also stuck a fatty in there around 11:30 this morn when I checked it the first time b/c my cordless probe crapped out.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    grs,
    I've had one go 24 hours too. One even longer I think. You could wrap it in foil to speed things along at this point if your cramped for time and guests. Got to remember though rule number one for Q. It is done when its done.[p]H