Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newcomer

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just heard about the Green Egg - is it easy to use, I'm a novice griller... any feedback appreciated.

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    webcollage2.jpg
    <p />LC,[p]Like anything new, there is a learning curve with the Egg, but yes it is easy to use, plus:[p]1) You can learn everything you ever need to know right here in this forum[p]2) The Egg is very forgiving, very versatile, and just makes food taste better - because of that it inspires you to cook more, experiment, and just become a better cook[p]3) If you can cook it in your oven, old grill, or even stovetop, you can cook it on the Egg[p]4) Did I mention fun? Most people who buy the Egg end up making it a major hobby.[p]But hands down, the wonderful thing about the Egg is the incredible community of folks that comes with it. I have met some of the highest quality people through this funny-shaped green thing, developing friendships that extend well past flames and food. [p]If you're not sure about it, I would encourage you to lurk on this forum for a couple of weeks. Read the posts. See what people cook, the kinds of discussions that go on. I assure you that a little time spent here will make the decision a clear one for you.[p]In the meantime, if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask - someone here will have the answer.[p]Welcome, good luck, and here's hoping that you find a home for a new Egg.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    webcollage2.jpg
    <p />LC,[p]Like anything new, there is a learning curve with the Egg, but yes it is easy to use, plus:[p]1) You can learn everything you ever need to know right here in this forum[p]2) The Egg is very forgiving, very versatile, and just makes food taste better - because of that it inspires you to cook more, experiment, and just become a better cook[p]3) If you can cook it in your oven, old grill, or even stovetop, you can cook it on the Egg[p]4) Did I mention fun? Most people who buy the Egg end up making it a major hobby.[p]But hands down, the wonderful thing about the Egg is the incredible community of folks that comes with it. I have met some of the highest quality people through this funny-shaped green thing, developing friendships that extend well past flames and food. [p]If you're not sure about it, I would encourage you to lurk on this forum for a couple of weeks. Read the posts. See what people cook, the kinds of discussions that go on. I assure you that a little time spent here will make the decision a clear one for you.[p]In the meantime, if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask - someone here will have the answer.[p]Welcome, good luck, and here's hoping that you find a home for a new Egg.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    LC,
    Lurk around here for a few days; search the archives; check out the Naked Whiz's site, which links to WessB's and others. That will tell you what you want to know. One piece of advice, though--get the large if you possibly can. Be prepared for addiction, however. Good luck.

[ul][li]Whiz Site[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    TRex,
    VERY WELL DONE!!!!!!!!
    It sure would be nice if this thread is archived for future questions!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    TRex,[p]Nice lookin' collage. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    RRP,[p]What thirdeye and RRP said.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    now thats cool me likey!!! i like the ohers also but the mario quote makes it tops
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• LC,
    If you really want "easy", get a gas grill. But the payoff for a VERY small amount of additional effort is extraordinary if you get an egg. There is a bit of a learning curve but it doesn't take more than a few cooks to get it right and the stuff you cook while learning will be as good or better than what you can do on a gas grill.[p]I cooked on gas grills for many years before seeing my first egg in a grill store about 4 years ago. I was just about to plunk down some serious cash to get a "better" gas grill than the previous 3 or 4 I'd burned through. I decided to go home and do a little research on the BGE, found this board, and I'm really glad I did. The quality of food prepared on the egg and the versatility of being able to use it as a grill, smoker, brick oven, etc. is fantastic. And the stuff you can learn from this board is great too![p]Again, if you want the easiest option, the gas grill makes the most sense. But if you are really into grilling, smoking, baking and cooking in general, this is the way to go.[p]Paul

• BENTE,
    thanks mon![p]mario is my hero... go get the "mario tailgates nascar style" cookbook and try the bacon-wrapped pork kabob recipe![p]i haven't tried those on the egg yet, but i will!
    see link for photo...........

[ul][li]bacon-wrapped pork kabobs![/ul]
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    LC,[p]The Egg is a spectacular appliance. From my experience, if you want good BBQ, it is the easiest way to get it.Some things are dead simple. Others take a bit of finesse. At first, it is not "fire an forget." It takes awhile to learn how to get just the temperature you want. [p]As an example, after 5 months of ownership, I started a fire about 3 hours ago. I eased the Egg into a 250 temperature, adjusted the vents just atouch twice during the next 20 minutes, and it is still at that temperature. And this is at under 50 degrees outside temp, with high humidity and a mild breeze.[p]gdenby[p]
  • BENTE
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    man that looks good what is the nascar cookbook like? i am not much of a nascar fan i usually watch formula one but keep it under your hat or i will get run out of the south :~)
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE,[p]you don't have to be a nascar fan to cook mario's recipes, you just have to be a fan of eating! heheh. this cookbook contains a boatload of recipes that are tailored for cooking on the grill and can easily be adapted for the egg...[p](your secret's safe with me)
    GO BUCKEYES!

[ul][li]mario tailgates nascar style[/ul]
  • BENTE
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    oh no a buckeye fan i used to live in ohio everyone rooted on them so i didn't started rooting on some one else (GO BLUE) but not to be outdone we moved to s.c. 12 miles from clemson i root against them at every oppertunity. my brother decided to go to florida so i naturally became a FSU fan.
    anyhow i love mario was thinking bout getting some of his enameled cast iron cookware but that is like #600 on my list and i'm on #5 LOL
    happy egging
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• uncbbq,[p]Whats a fatty?