Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Castell Testicle Festival

Options
2»

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Don't know about TX balls (too much beef taken for granted?). Those I have had in Wyoming and got my then 7 and 11 year old sons to eat were definitely closer to the chix flavor but that was quite a few years ago and perhaps rocky mountain oysters benefitted from the pure mountain water??  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Taste just like chicken.  
    Actually tastes just like steak. Texture is a bit off
    putting but if nobody told you that you had nut in your mouth you wouldn’t kmow. Like a beef chicken nugget. 
    I heard they are like cream filled eclairs.

I’ve only had them fried. They actually aren’t bad but I certainly don’t go looking for them. Like a sponge-y chicken fried steak. Yum. When I worked for Dickies they were based in Fort Worth. Every customer from NYC or LA got calf fries for apps when we took them out. Whether they wanted them or not. We had lots of temporary vegetarians those nighs. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Isn't the cream gravy redundant?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    caliking said:

Bingo. I'm your guy aft of the taint. Not fore.

You're on your own Mickey. 
    that's GD funny!

lousubcap said:
    Taste just like chicken.  
    putting but if nobody told you that you had nut in your mouth you wouldn’t kmow. Like a beef chicken nugget. 
    when i made them, after smoking, i sliced and fried them.  they had exactly the texture of a chicken nugget but with none of the flavor.  i totally failed on the seasoning.  and once you've tasted unseasoned testicle, well, there's just not a lot of motivation to go back for more.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Pics @Mickey

we need pics.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mr VI
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    blind99 said:
    caliking said:

that's GD funny!

lousubcap said:
    Taste just like chicken.  
    when i made them, after smoking, i sliced and fried them.  they had exactly the texture of a chicken nugget but with none of the flavor.  i totally failed on the seasoning.  and once you've tasted unseasoned testicle, well, there's just not a lot of motivation to go back for more.
    The part in bold needs to be immortalized.  

There are a lot of things in my food future.  I don't see this being one of them.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Options
    blind99   and once you've tasted unseasoned testicle, well, there's just not a lot of motivation to go back for more.

I imagine that’s it hard to find unseasoned testicle. 

15 mins of walking, clothed, gets things started. Especially May- Sept in Houston. 

• Mickey
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options

Calf, turkey, & sheep. Could not tell any difference. Hell, all you could taste was the Louisiana Seasoning 

• Legume
    Options
    Jeez @Mickey that shirt VI has is fantastic.  If he feels like bringing an extra one back to Austin size XL, I would gladly reimburse.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Legume said:
    Jeez @Mickey that shirt VI has is fantastic.  If he feels like bringing an extra one back to Austin size XL, I would gladly reimburse.
    That was the last XL. He was wanting a XXL. 

• Mickey
    Options
    Guys i am so glad so went, real blast. Don’t see any reason to do it again. Gary said the same thing. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    blind99 said:
    caliking said:

that's GD funny!

lousubcap said:
    Taste just like chicken.  
    The part in bold needs to be immortalized.  

There are a lot of things in my food future.  I don't see this being one of them.

once you've tasted unseasoned testicle, well, there's just not a lot of motivation to go back for more.
    Live your life as if they're all unseasoned  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Guys i am so glad so went, real blast. Don’t see any reason to do it again. Gary said the same thing. 
    When the main even is to stuff your face with fried nads, once is probably plenty 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    My college roommate from Minnesota brought some "fresh", but ready to fry, oysters and fried them up for us, kinda reminded me of deep-fried mushrooms but yeah, kinda bland.  
    The next time he brought a batch they were not quite ready-to-fry, but in the state as in the photo @blind99 posted.  I decided once was enough at that time, too.  Randy kept calling me a wuss after that, until I tried to get him to try sushi.  An uneasy dètente was reached.    

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Legume
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Legume said:
    That was the last XL. He was wanting a XXL. 
    I’d bet the XXLs go fast in that crowd.  Thanks for asking.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Thank you for trying all those different varieties and reporting back. I’m glad to know I’m not missing anything! If you had said “sheep are bland, but spotted eastern Madagascar ocelot balls are divine,” I would probably be looking for them now. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    ^^^ uh, spotted ocelots are only found in western Madagascar  
     ;) 

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• caliking
    Options
    Botch said:
    ^^^ uh, spotted ocelots are only found in western Madagascar  
     ;) 
    Used to be in Eastern Madagascar too. Until people found out how good their nuts tasted...