Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

buffalo ckik wings, direct or indirect?? temp and time??

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
any suggestions on buffalo chik wings?? mine r rubbery. i have been going indirect at 250 to 275 for an 60 to 90 minutes. i am thinking direct at 300 to 350 for maybe 10 min. per side, then check them and baste w/ wing sauce. [p]i need help[p]thanks

Comments

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    Haven't done these yet, but I hear they rock the casba...
    [ul][li]Get Spun...[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    rmdelta1, bump the temp up to around 350 and cook for 40-60 minutes. I gave up on turning them individually. I just slide a spatula underneath a group and flip. Some get turned, some don't but if I do this two or three times during the cook, all turns out ok.

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    rmdelta1,, [p]I would suggest direct, 325 - 375 dome. You have to "babysit" them, turning frequently and avoiding hot spots. DO NOT add the sauce for the last 10-15 min, or it will burn bigtime. PAM the grid before the cook. They will still stick some. I use tongs individually, wiggling them gently parallel to the grid until they break loose. Otherwise you risk losing skin stuck to the grid. This alos works for frozen wings, direct from the freezer. It just takes longer.

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    rmdelta1,[p]This will go down as herasey, but I marinate mine in dark beer for a day, in spicy seasoning, hot sauce, olive oil,and what ever else I feel like for a day, then smoke mine the day before indirect @ 250 for 90 minutes. When I get ready to serve I either fire up the Jenn Air or the egg hot to sear them off and crisp up the skin. I make these every year for my Superbowl party, I like getting them done the day before. We have filled up the Jenn Air in the kitchen and never had the platter make it to the tv room, the wings just disapear. oh yea, I do have ribs on the egg wile the wings are getting crisp and hot.
  • Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    rmdelta1,[p]1) Heat BGE up to 700+ degrees.[p]2) Place wings directly over the inferno.[p]3) Close down the BGE completely. Close bottom damper and put the rain cap on the top.[p]4) Let sit 15 minutes without disturbing.[p]5) After the 15 minutes - remove rain cap and open lower damper completely. Let stand for 30 seconds or so to allow some air to flow into the BGE to prevent flashback.[p]6) Turn wings and install daisy wheel cap and set lower vent to maintain the temp between 350 and 375. Turn every 15 minutes until done to your liking. I usually cook them for a total of an hour using this method.[p]Wings will come out with a crispy skin and will be fall off the bone tender and moist.[p]I don't sauce them until done if using traditional sauce. Lately I have just been sprinkling them with Dizzy Pig Jamacian Firewalk prior to cooking.[p]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    rmdelta1,
    i do buffalo wings 2 ways, one is chef rd's method and the other is i smoke them fairly heavey until almost done and then bring them in the house and fry them. smofri, dip in hot sauce, and dip in bluecheese dressing. i like texas pete hot sauce for this. buffalo wings are different than grilled wings. if your looking for buffalo wings they need some deep frying. on a side note, i poached some eggs in the deep fryer this morning, absolutely great. i deep fry in the wok. if you finish in the deep fryer, make sure that they are smoked well as the oil leaches out some of the smoke

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    Options
    mrbeer,[p]I just wanted to thank you for turning me on to this great method. I think you posted it a couple months ago and I've used it a few times with outstanding results. I couldn't remember who posted it, so I never properly thanked you. [p]Thanks!