Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg in California

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After about a year of reading this forum, I finally got my large egg and need some advice. I got some BGE fire starters with my egg and was planning to use them to start the fire. Can you please give me some tips on building a fire (how much lump, where to put the fire starters, ect.) and temperature control. I was going to start off with some baby back ribs with the 3-1-1 method, so I guess I need to stabilize the temperature to about 250-275.[p]Thanks in advance for your advice.[p]Gary

Comments

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    I'm a newb, but I will take a shot at helping you as I use the fire starter as well. I place three in a triangle about 8 inches apart and fire them up. Let them sit about 30 minutes or so and you will have a roaring fire.[p]As for the lump, I just fill mine up to the top of the firebox and use what I use and snuff out what is left for the next cook. Very easy really.[p]Ribs, you are dead on there imo...but I'm not an expert on that...yet. LOL[p]Good Luck!
  • Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    CA-Egg,[p]the best fire building advice is on[p]www.nakedwhiz.com
  • Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    CA-Egg,[p]I would suggest you mix a hanful of Pecan, oak, OR hickory (in that order, you can also mix) chips in the lump and then place a handful on top of the lump once the fire is started. This handful should go on 30-60 minutes after you start the fire and the egg is stablized. Then the platesetter, grid, ribs. I assume you have a platesetter to provide indirect cooking, if not post back for direct method.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    CA-Egg,[p]The 3-1-1 method is pretty much "lo and slo." When I do that route, I only start the fire in one place, so it doesn't get too hot too fast. At the most, I'd break a starter in half, and place them a few inches apart near the center of your lump. [p]Use a full fire box of lump. Better too much than too little.[p]Start shutting down the vents when the temperature reaches 200 on the dome thermometer. You will reach a 225 - 250 dome temp with the bottom open about 1/8 - 1/4 inch, and the daisy wheel shut at least half down to as little as a crack.[p]gdenby