Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Do I Know When?

RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do I know when Beef Jerky is done? I am 5.5 hours into the cook. The temperature has been between 190 and 200. We have had a major windstorm all day and the egg has held its temperature. [p]On Friday when I went to the West Side Market, I asked my beef guy what the best cut for Jerky would be. He told me to come back in ten minutes and he would set me up. He cut two pounds of very lean looking beef sliced nicely. He said that he gets it from various places on the carcass and it is perfect for jerky. [p]When I got home, I put it in a Gfw/NB combination marinade with two heaping tablespoons of Mrs. Dogs Jerk. There it sat until this morning when I fired up the egg and piled on the beef in grill wok. Every half hour since, I have been rearranging the pile.[p]I have two side points of interest from yesterday. I had to watch my parents purchase a new gas grill. I was amazed at the price paid and what you got. I will not mention the name, but it begins with W and ends with r. By the way, how are meat juices dripping on hot metal supposed to Flavorize meat? [p]The other unfortunate thing that happened was that my butcher of 14 years has sold his business. The place is the same, the meat looks the same but I feel a loss. I purchased my normal order, but we shall see.[p]Happy Grilling,
RhumAndJerk
[p]

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    RhumAndJerk, you could use my method - I periodically take a piece and snack! I just pilled mine off about 1 hour ago. About the best I've done to date - :~}

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Gfw, care to share todays method and or recipe?..[p]Mop

• RhumAndJerk
    Gfw,
    I just stirred the pile and tasted a piece, yummmmm! It has a perfect heat level. I am at six hours now and I was wondering how dry the finished product should actually be? My concern is not removing enough moisture from the meat and have it spoil in the fridge.[p]This is the first time that I have ever made Beef Jerky.
    RhumAndJerk

• RhumAndJerk
    Mop,
    Here is the recipe that I am using. NatureBoy set us up with his variation of Gfw’s Jerky and I am using Mrs. Dogs Jerk. I am using a holey grill wok over direct heat and no smoking wood.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Best Meat for Jerky Thread[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk, It was probably cooked through enough at 3 hours. It depends on the texture, how dry and tough you desire. I cooked some for a friend and he wants a piece to chew on for about an hour. Tough enough I guess.[p]CWM
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    RhumAndJerk, it will continue to dry a little more after you take it off. If you store it in the fridge, it will get even chewier - I've never had it last long enough to go bad. Have a great day!

• RhumAndJerk
    Gfw,
    Thanks. I will stick with a straight eight hours then.[p]Apparently, this is a lazy Sunday and everyone is making Jerky. I also racked ten gallons of Petite Syrah that I made back in November and December. This stuff is starting to get good. I also am getting five gallons of Mead ready to rack again. I made that stuff almost four years ago and I will bottle it soon. Some things are just worth the wait.[p]RhumAndJerk

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Car Wash Mike, I lean CWM's way with jerky. Jerky doesn't have to be crip. Neither do you want it gumbo tough..and you got the right "beef man" to do the selecting. The right doneness for this jock is where the meat will be firm, easily tear and yet not be blackend. Heaping in piles is a harder way to get a uniform texture, provided the meat is all cut with the same grain. Since I don't pay much attention to grain, I get some variations, but the jerky is pretty uniform..And I am out of it, and gettin hungry. I like that "beef man". Rolls it all up under one umbrella.
    :-)
    C~W[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Sounds like a large mead. My hat is off to you. I would consider it a true priviledge to sample it many years from now.[p]Spin
  • RhumAndJerk
    Spin,
    I will make sure that you get a taste. I may have to miss Eggfest in April, but definitely at Eggtoberfest.
    R&J

• RhumAndJerk
    Seven hours would have been perfect. I had a temperature spike to 225 in the last hour. It came out a little overdone but tasty. It is almost 2/3 gone. Man that stuff does not last long. Next time I will increase the amount that make.[p]Thanks for the help everyone.
    RhumAndJerk

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    RhumAndJerk,That "flavourizer bar" thing always made me chuckle......
    It really does nothing for the flavour of the meat as you said....but it sure does make the yard smell great when your sizzlin those RibEyes.....
    lol[p]Mop!