Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking/Dehydrating Jalepenos???

Options
SouthOfI10
SouthOfI10 Posts: 213
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Happy Friday!
I have a question around smoking/drying jalepenos. A friend from work gave me a LOT of peppers last week. I made a bunch of ABTs (70) with some of them and have about 3-4lbs left. I want to dehydrate them for use in recipes later, but want to get some smoke flavor as well. I have read a lot on the archives and here is what I am thinking. Any other tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.[p]*Cut stem from peppers (I want the seeds in for extra heat)
*several good pecan chunks for smoke
*Indirect at ~225F for an hour or so
*remove from Egg and dehydrate until bone dry[p]What am I missing?[p]Thanks,
Scott

Comments

• Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    SouthOfI10,
    didn't know you could dry out jalapenos - looking forward to tips posted.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Eggin in Peoria,[p] Chipotles :)

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    SouthOfI10,[p]I have made Chipoltes from Jalapenos before. This requires low and slow 160 degrees for 24 - 30 hours. (Requires a BBQ Guru.) I used pecan, hickory, and Jack Danials chips. you want the peppers to have a plastic like texture. 3-4 pounds will last you a while. I left the stems but split the side of the pepper and placed a bit of kosher salt inside the pepper. One last thing, after you smoked them always glove up when you handle them, they will be hot. The good news, they will last for a long time. I smoked about 40 18 months ago I am still working through them. We use them in chilli, have ground them up for rubs, bbq sauce, all kinds of uses. I have done both green and red peppers. Red works best, but the green ones are good too. I am about out now.
  • Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Duh!! somedays the brain kicks off without me realizing.