Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about wind effecting cooking

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am in the process of maybe buying a green egg. I have several questions I need help with. I live in Kansas which is windy a lot of the time. I have a wooden deck with very little protection from the wind. I wonder how the wind effects cooking, will the wind blow an egg over that is on an egg nest, and finally when cooking with wind blowing will ashes and sparks blow out on the wood deck?? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks for your help.
Gene

Comments

• Grillicious
    Options
    genew, the egg is stable enough in it's nest that I doubt it will blow over. However if you are concerned you build a table for it instead.
    As long as the lid is closed ashes and sparks will not be a problem. What will be a problem is maintaining temps if you're egg is turned so the lower vent is facing into the wind.

• genew,[p]I live just south of Boise.ID. at the edge of the desert where we get some stiff winds from time to time. I've never had my large BGE blow over on it's nest, and have little difficulty using the egg while the wind is blowing. The only thing I might ever do is to turn the egg so that the lower damper is facing down wind. I've owned lots of types of grills over the years and have found that I can use the egg in all weather (I tend to go inside during lightning storms).[p]Buy it. You can't go wrong.[p]Good eggin'
    Paul

• mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Options
    genew,[p]Plus the new BGE's come with the mesh screen door for the lower vent... so you are less likely to have any sparks or flying hot molten ash coming out and setting your deck on fire. [p]The only way I could conceive the wind blowing it over would be if the wind picked up.... lets say your patio table and seriously came at the BGE with extreme force.... um, in that case it wouldn't be safe to be outside at all. Or if that is possible where you live... keep it close to the railing so "she" will be able to brace herself![p]It will be well worth the purchase... just keep in mind the other posts about the direction of the bottom vent in relation to the wind and you'll be fine.
  • genew,
    I live in Iowa and as you probably know this is the third largest state as far as wind farms are concerned, so we get a lot of wind here. I have never had a problem with wind bothering the egg. When the wind is blowing hard I just turn the front of the egg down wind and there is absolutely no problem with sparks or anything.(I have mine on a wooden deck). Unlike my gasser where I just couldn't cook when the wind was blowing. Good luck, I know you will love your new egg. Bucky

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    genew,[p] I would think any wind capable of blowing over a 140 pound egg (LBGE) would be causing other issues you'd need to be more concerned with. Like blowing over that tree next to your house. I don't think you'd be cooking such winds anyway. [p] I agree with what has already been said about the position of the bottom vent in relation to the wind.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    genew,
    I hate to tell you this, but my large egg did blow over in the eggnest once. No damage except the dome came off and had to be reassembled. I figured the reason for this was the eggmates were in the down position and the wind caused the egg to begin to roll and it hit a high spot on my wood deck. It ended up about 10' from where it was originally positioned. The wind was, obviously, pretty severe! I bungee it to the railing now if I think there's any chance of any excess wind. This was a freak thing and I've never had any problem since. The new eggs come with the spark arrestor which keeps embers from falling out and causing any sort of fire hazard. Wind causes no problem during cooking if you put the draft door downwind. Don't hesitate to get a BGE!! They're the real deal!!!!!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    genew,
    i live on the windy side of the lake, it gets real windy, my patio table is screwed down, and when my egg was on the deck i tied it to the rail at the hinge. i doubt it would have tipped; however, ive had the table flip over, umbrella bent over, patio heater top ripped off, and lately the whole upstairs window blew into the house frame and all. i simply tied it to the rail with a piece of coathanger, better to play it safe. it does cook fine in the wind, not much of a problem there.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it