Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

French Fries on an Egg - anybody tried?

Options
unorthodx
unorthodx Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just curious. Would like to try if it's possible at all. Interested in baked potatoes tips as well.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    unorthodx,
    Dizzy Pig has a recipe. -RP

[ul][li]potatos[/ul]
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    unorthodx,
    French "Fries" don't have to be fried, they can be baked, and are quite tasty. Just lay some fries loosly on some foil and bake on top of your pizza stone.[p]As for baked potatoes, I like to nuke mine to get the center started cooking. Then I oil them with olive oil, sprinkle on some kosher salt, wrap in foil and cook on the Egg while it's warming up for steak or whatever. I've been told that it was the best baked potato ever. Interestingly, it does not require a stick of butter to make it taste good. Just a small amount of butter, or in my case, spray-on Can't Believe It's Not Butter does the job well.[p]Spring "One Potato, Two Potatoes, Three Potatoes, Four ..." Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    unorthodx,
    If you mean by "French Fries" something involving heat a pot of oil in the Egg, I'd say not very good idea. Asking for the fire of the decade. As for baked potatoes, I like to oil them up, sprinkle with black pepper and kosher salt, then place them on a pizza stone on a raised grid in an Egg thoroughly heated to 400 degrees. Time is determined by how big the potatoes are. About one hour is typical.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]How long do you microwave them? and then how long on the egg in general?[p]Thanks!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    IMG_0265.jpg
    <p />unorthodx,
    ever since I found these delicious fries I've never switched. I used to be skepitcal of frozen fries, but these babes will WOW you! They can be done on your egg also - just follow the directions on the bag.[p]

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    RRP, Agree on these. My experience with same brand and different type have not been as good as the shoe string cut. Maybe I got a bad batch.
  • Spring Chicken,
    "Just lay some fries loosly on some foil and bake on top of your pizza stone", may be the worst recipe for french fries ever written. Good Lord, man.[p]

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Herm,
    I nuke 'em until they start to get soft and immediately wrap them in foil, with salt and olive oil. Just guessing, I would say about ten to twelve minutes in the microwave for a really large potato. All you're doing is getting the cooking started, not completely done.[p]As for how long on the Egg, it depends on the heat. If I'm cooking steak and want to sear at 750° I put the potato on when I light the Egg. I try to time it so the potato will be done at the same time the steak is done. I've actually left the potato on the Egg for over an hour and it is still very good.[p]The salt and olive oil does something to the potato's skin and I usually end up eating all of it too. Very tasty. One of my Brilliant Ideas.[p]Spring "Every Day I Become More Brilliant" Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Frozen,
    Try it, you might like it. Sprinkle some lime pepper or lime salt on the "fries" for a unique flavor for your party.[p]Spring "Lime Flies When You're Having Fun" Chicken