Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tri-tip

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a small tri-tip to cook tonight and I usually cook them direct at about 450-500 until medium rare. Has anybody tried smoking one indirect for a couple of hours? Thanks.

Comments

• wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    Options
    Cutlette,
    I am no expert, but my experience with Tri Tips is that there isn't a lot of fat, which, to me means a high temp, quick cook. A Tri Tip lo-n-slo might come out kinda dry and tough...
    Maybe someone with more knowledge of the different cuts of meat can weigh in with more insight...
    If you try it... let us know how it turns out.
    Cheers,
    wrobs

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Cutlette,
    Tri-tip marinated like brisket and cooked slow like brisket tasts exactly like.... [p]You guess it ...... brisket (not tri-tip).

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Cutlette,[p]I've tried tri-tip 3 ways with excellent results. Grilled at temps around 400° like you mentioned, barbecued at 250° and hot tubbed then grilled. It is a pretty versatile cut.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Cutlette, 3+ pounds and I do mine @250 dome till 125 in the center, I rest it for about 15 minutes while the Egg gets to sear temps, then sear away. Come out nice and juicy. No drying here. Tri Tips are very marbled in fat so the dry issue isnt a factor.