Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Guru Use

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally got around to using my new BBQ Guru today cooking some ribs. It took me a few minutes to figure it out but once I read the directions it started doing it's thing. It was cool looking out and seeing those puff's of smoke seep out the Daisy Wheel and lid every few seconds while the Egg was rock solid on 225° I can see where I'm going to be using that thing a lot.[p]Gonna smear some Blues Hog sauce on the ribs. They were covered pretty good with a couple of DP rubs before I put 'em on the Egg.[p]I think I'm going to be a happy camper tonight.[p]Spring "Novice Technology Expert" Chicken
Spring Texas USA[p]

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    "IT TOOK A FEW MINUTES TO FIGURE OUT BUT ONCE I READ THE DIRECTIONS. . ."[p]I'm sooo, sooo proud of you leroy. . .in true "GUY" fashion, you went boldly forth to use your guru without reading the directions, and only resorted to them when all else failed. . .this is a sign of TRUE "GUY-DOM" . ..only read the instructions as a last resort. ..[p]mad "always in touch with my inner guy" max

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Spring Chicken, what is your reasoning for cooking them at 225° instead of 140° or any other temp? Just wondering... JCA

• J Appledog
    Options
    Spring Chicken, what is your reasoning for cooking them at 225° instead of 240° or any other temp? Just wondering... JCA

• J Appledog
    Options
    J Appledog meant to say 240°. Is it five o'clock yet?
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Wanted them to be ready at 4:44 PM when my Sweetie comes home.[p]Besides, one recipe said 225° to 230°.[p]It's working out really good.[p]Spring "Ten Seconds Away From Being Nine Seconds Off" Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    LOL... I thought you of all people would appreciate that little interjection. I'm a Taurus so directions are meant for two things: other people or last resort. As I grow older, last resort is becoming more common.[p]Spring "First In A Long Line of Last Place Finishers" Chicken

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    You are gonna love that thing Leroy! I've had mine 4 or 5 years now and it is an amazing device. Used it last Saturday on some spares, smeared them with Blues Hog also. -RP

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    AZRP,
    First time for the Guru and Blues Hog. My Sweetie said they were the best ribs ever, and my neighbors said they love 'em, especially the sauce. [p]Looks like I'll have to figure ut eggactly what all I did and put it down in my "do again" book.[p]I'm already think'n that "An Egg without a Guru is like a ship without water," or something like that.[p]Spring "Providing Treasures and Pleasures At The Chicken Ranch" Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    I suppose it would help if I showed you a photo...[p]MVC-239S.jpg[p]Spring "I Can Rest Now" Chicken
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]LOL,LOL,LOL[p]Leroy,
    You're killing me with laughter.[p]:Spring "Providing Treasures and Pleasures At The Chicken Ranch" Chicken[p]Hope the hell Spring Hen doesn't find out. (:>)))
    Now get back to work and don't get caught. LOL[p]Cheers,
    Bordello

• Spring Chicken,[p]Extremely dumb question, but what exactly does the guru do? Control the temp? How? Just curious.
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I love my "other brand." But even resorting to reading the directions I had to ask my 16 year olds how to work it. 15 seconds later they had me hooked up and going.[p]Sigh

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    JBuffett,
    Not dumb. The Guru is an electronic control box that operates a small fan attached to the bottom vent of the egg.

[ul][li]http://www.thebbqguru.com/[/ul]
  • ronbeaux,[p]Thanks very much!
  • BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Thanks for the kind words about the Guru. I hope all of you Guru users get plenty of sleep while cooking great BBQ this cold and blistery winter.[p]BBQ Bob Trudnak
    The BBQ Guru

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    BBQ Bob Trudnak,
    You're welcome. [p]I would have had one sooner but being as though my advanced age makes me get up multiple times at night I may as well check on the cook in progress. Hasn't been a big problem. But a couple of weeks ago I had to stand there in the dark in my Aa La Naturale for 20 minutes while the temperature climbed back up to where it was supposed to be. I think that was the deciding moment in my becoming a believer.[p]You have a great product and I'm going to take full advantage of it.[p]Spring "Semi-Professional Guru Operator" Chicken

• Grillicious
    Options
    Spring Chicken, which model did you go with, Pit Minder, Competitor, or ProCom? I'm gonna put a bug in the wife's ear for a Xmas present. She'll probably go for it since she is tired of being disturbed by my Mavericks temp alarm during overnighters.

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Grillicious,
    Competitor. Also got the large and small adaptor doors. I doubt that I will need two Guru's, but then I questioned for a long time whether I even needed one. I'll probably end up with a second one just like I did with my second Big Green Egg. In the world of Big Green Egg ownership: one Egg is good, two is better. It's probably the same for the BBQ Guru.[p]Excellent Christmas gift idea.[p]Spring "Happy Trails To You" Chicken