Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoneware Vertical Chicken Roaster??? Question (Long)

Options
Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night,
I stabilized my Large BGE to 350 degrees and I cooked a whole chicken for 2 hours. I had the vertical roaster in an aluminum pan with about a fourth inch of water in it. For the chicken prep I rubbed the chicken with some olive oil and used Bad Byron's Butt rub. I had a stick thermometer and took a temp of the breast and it registered 180 and I took the chicken off the grill and wrapped it in foil. Tonight when I took it out of the fridge and went to cut the legs off I noticed it wasn't cooked in a few places so I put it in the oven. After 35 minutes we gave up and microwaved it! I threw out the rest of the bird that wasn't cooked. I want my next attempt to be a success. Any tips advice would be appreciated! I really want to master the Vertical roaster that I was given as a gift. Many thanks in advance for your help![p]Best regards, Pharmeggist

Comments

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]Was it really uncooked, or was it "red" looking by the bones? There is a difference. Many BBQ menus remind the consumer that grilled/smoked poultry often looks pink / undercooked due to the effect of the smoke.[p]350 for 2 hours ought to cook the bird- you may want to check calibration of both thermometers with boiling water.[p]hth[p]Big T
  • Pharmeggist,[p]Measure the temp in the thigh.
    Instead of water, pour wine, bourbon, or beer in the pan.
    Loosen the skin over the breast and pour a little wine and seasoning in the pockets.

• Pharmeggist,I have never been impressed with vertical roasters. I think the poultry comes out better, when it is put on grill indirect, @400.

• Citizen Q
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    Get yourself a "Polder" style digital probe thermometer so you can check the temp without opening the Egg. Set the tip of the probe as close to the center of the breast as you can and you'll never have any doubt as to the doneness of the bird.
    If you were only seeing redness at the bone and in the joints, you just wasted a perfectly good trash bag. At 180, the chicken was done. [p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]You said a 'stoneware' vertical roaster, so I'm going to take a guess here that it is like mine . . . a Ceramicooker that was introduced to me by GrillMeister.[p]http://www.earlymorningpottery.com/[p]I love the thing, and have made our best chicken using it. But my setup is a little different.[p]I use a platesetter with legs up with a shallow drip pan placed on 3 copper elbow spacers. The BGE grate goes on top of the legs, and the chicken sits on the grate. That allows hot air to enter the bottom of the vertical roaster. Therefore the chicken cooks from the inside out, as well as outside in. I don't use liquids, as the Egg keeps chicken nicely moist. The pan is only for catching drippings.[p]It is my guess that by setting the roaster/chicken in a pan of liquid you may have prevented heat from entering the roaster, thus slowing the cooking from the inside out.[p]As well, I would agree with BigT's comments; smoked poultry can look red or pink from the smoke, while being perfectly cooked.[p]HTH[p]DD

• SkyRider
    Options
    Pharmeggist,
    I agree w/ Dobie Dad....lose the liquid & the Egg will take care of the moisture...also, you will have a more crispy skin on the finished bire...it will not be dry...good luck...

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    DobieDad,
    Thanks for the great information. I am going to try your set up for the next bird! [p]Best regards, Pharmeggist

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Thanks for the information. I didn't have a clue about the redness being normal at the joints and bone. The breast temperature was 180 when I used my stick thermometer on the center of the breast.[p]Best regards, Pharmeggist